Are northerners more patriotic than southerners?

Most northerners I've come across are proud of their country and seem more parochial, and will dispise Londoners becuase of its diversity and acceptance of 'foreigners'

Rubbish. the reasons I hear more often for people disliking London have more to do with the sheer hustle & bustle of the place.

Personally I'm with Samuel Johnson on this one. When a man is tired of London he is tired of life.

Rubbish. the reasons I hear more often for people disliking London have more to do with the sheer hustle & bustle of the place.

Personally I'm with Samuel Johnson on this one. When a man is tired of London he is tired of life.

Remember those words were uttered when London was the size of Sheffield,not a manic metropolis with 10,000,000 inhabitants,choked with traffic.

Considering how many Londoners and people from greater London turned out for things like the Jubilee, Royal Wedding, Olympics etc I'd say the southern UK is just as patriotic as the north.

If not more so....

Not long after Will & Kate's wedding last year I was in Frinton-On-Sea for my sins. Folk down there found it odd that we hadn't had any street parties for the Royal Wedding. We found it odd that they had.

Considering how many Londoners and people from greater London turned out for things like the Jubilee, Royal Wedding, Olympics etc I'd say the southern UK is just as patriotic as the north.

They turned out to these events because they were on their door step, I just wonder how much they made ripping the tourist off. P.S, I lived and worked in London and saw these wide boys every day, when our contract ended I couldn't wait to get to back to sheffield. Admitted we have wide boys up here plying their trade but always on the look out for the coppers, down there it's just the norm and everyone appcept it, plus their ignorance and bad manners.:suspect:

They turned out to these events because they were on their door step, I just wonder how much they made ripping the tourist off. P.S, I lived and worked in London and saw these wide boys every day, when our contract ended I couldn't wait to get to back to sheffield. Admitted we have wide boys up here plying their trade but always on the look out for the coppers, down there it's just the norm and everyone appcept it, plus their ignorance and bad manners.:suspect:

Funny you should mention this as there are many Southerners who mirror your feelings for Northerners.

I suppose for some the North/South divide is a gap that will never be bridged.

Ive cousins born and raised in London and many years back now in 1979

i went for like a Holiday for 2 weeks , i left and came back to Scotland

on my 3rd day and got train back home , hated London everything about it

unfriendly i found it , also everyone looking into space when on the tubes

not speaking to one another , its a city i would not venture back into again

Id go to any Northern English Citys but London is just ---> :(

I think that having lived on the south coast for a yr now having lived in sheffield for 50 yrs and in my town down here there are many from London I think I can say that they are more patriotic down here and as for being friendly I think they are just as nice as in Sheffield.I too came here with the impression that southerners are not as friendly as us northerners but its just not true.lol but they do take the mick out of my Sheffield accent. :hihi:

Archived