Are northerners more patriotic than southerners?

Are there two different races in England? :huh: Or one race of people divided only by their loyalty to Manchester City or Chelsea?

Wouldn't it be a no brainer to assume that there are northerners who are a bit more patriotic than other northeners and southerners who are a bit more patriotic than other southerners. Duh !

Not when the neanderthals assume that they are better than the other and sadly that feeling still exists in both the North and the South.

Well said! what has America got to do with this thread, it's the same people all the time, they are obsessed, either that or they just want to bragg and show off, actually just like a typical yank. One even bragged he had got an Harley Davidson, ( probably a mobility scooter):hihi: and a dodge truck(probably a toyota pick up):hihi: get in the real world, not fantasy world, just stick to the topic.:gag:

If you have a problem go talk to the mods otherwise put away your little baton and jack boots.

There's nothing to brag about owning a Harley-Davidson. They're a dime a dozen. Owning a Harley might be a big deal in England and some kind of status symbol but it aint so here.

Yes I have a pickup truck. A GMC Sierra with a big diesel engine Too big for you to handle. You'd need a ladder to climb into the cab. :hihi:

My wife has a 2011 Lexus and my son and I share joint ownership of a 1969 restored Dodge Charger. We do like our toys :thumbsup:

Careful on that Lambretta of yours. With winter on the way those tiny wheels dont handle slippery roads so well :hihi:

I suspect that London in the 18th century would have still managed to be busier and more energetic then Sheffield today! Samuel Johnson's point still stands.

Mind you, there was a lot more excrement to clear up back in those days!

And a pizz pot emptied on your head if you stood under the wrong window

Not when the neanderthals assume that they are better than the other and sadly that feeling still exists in both the North and the South.

A kind of snobbery on both sides. Now further north across the border they more than likely fly the flag of Saint Andrew more often than the U.J these days

A kind of snobbery on both sides. Now further north across the border they more than likely fly the flag of Saint Andrew more often than the U.J these days

The flag waving doesn't bother me it's the verbal attacks on places that they have no knowledge of, just a distorted belief that it has to be crap because it's the South/the North. This forum is full of toe rags like that and I imagine that the South is dotted with equally thick minded people.

If you have a problem go talk to the mods otherwise put away your little baton and jack boots.

There's nothing to brag about owning a Harley-Davidson. They're a dime a dozen. Owning a Harley might be a big deal in England and some kind of status symbol but it aint so here.

Yes I have a pickup truck. A GMC Sierra with a big diesel engine Too big for you to handle. You'd need a ladder to climb into the cab. :hihi:

My wife has a 2011 Lexus and my son and I share joint ownership of a 1969 restored Dodge Charger. We do like our toys :thumbsup:

Careful on that Lambretta of yours. With winter on the way those tiny wheels dont handle slippery roads so well :hihi:

I think what you and I need to do Harley is avoid pitching into threads that have nothing to do with us. This is a particularly trivial one, like many others. so we should wait for one of those diatribes against the United States that happen on here uncalled for. We never have to wait long. They are spiteful and normally untrue. We are told who to vote for, which is our business and nobody elses. We are told we don't speak the Queen's English or spell right, well she surenuff don't speak ours, and has no sense of humor. written 10/4/12:hihi::hihi:

The flag waving doesn't bother me it's the verbal attacks on places that they have no knowledge of, just a distorted belief that it has to be crap because it's the South/the North. This forum is full of toe rags like that and I imagine that the South is dotted with equally thick minded people.

I have one name for those kind of people "petty regionalists" which is politer than saying that it's just plain ignorance

I think what you and I need to do Harley is avoid pitching into threads that have nothing to do with us. This is a particularly trivial one, like many others. so we should wait for one of those diatribes against the United States that happen on here uncalled for. We never have to wait long. They are spiteful and normally untrue. We are told who to vote for, which is our business and nobody elses. We are told we don't speak the Queen's English or spell right, well she surenuff don't speak ours, and has no sense of humor. written 10/4/12:hihi::hihi:

There are a lot of threads I dont bother with since I dont know enough to make any significant contribution.

Unless England has moved onto another planet since I left then there are some things about the country that I do still know about.

As far as this thread is concerned I would have thought that in this day and age with high speed trains, the large number of people who now have cars, domestic airlines, large comfortable long distance buses and SKY News that the mentality that the south is somehow a completely different entity from the north would have died out long ago.

What are we talking about here? A trip along the M.1 that on a good day would take about 2 hours at the very most?

A friend and I rode our motorcycles up the old A.1 from Surrey to Sheffield back in the 50s. Now that was something of an adventure back in those far off times. Got stopped for speeding on the London road just on reaching Sheffield. The copper asked where I was from. I said 'Dahn souf in Surrey"

He seemed quite surpised and let me off :hihi:

I personally don't like London as a place it's too busy & nobody has time for anyone, as for whose most patriotic; it cannot be measured on where a person lives. There was a programme on TV a while ago, and some woman who lived in USA (ex pat) had a cafe done out in all that could be English.

It doesn't matter where you live, if you are you are, if not so what, but sadly the great north south divide does exist; and we will always be flat capped whippet breeders.

Mind you, you don't see many whippets in flat caps these days, but if someone asked me the best thing ever to come out of London then I'd have to say MY MUM.

That's what makes it so brilliant. The place never sleeps. I used to remember they rolled up the sidewalks in London after midnight, just like Philadelphia. My wife used to go to Broadway with some of her women friends, while I went hunting with the guys. After the show, they would sit out on the balcony of their hotel with a gallon of Jack Daniels, and shout down encouragement to the ladies of the night plying their trade.:) I can go to Boston just as easily, and I like it, but its not Gotham.

Next time we go to New York it wont be with a tour group. 4 citties in 7 days doesnt leave time to see much since a lot of the time is spent on the bus.

The women's world football championships were on when we were in NY and the USA was playing Japan They had set up a row of stadium type seating along one of the avenues leading off Times Square to watch the game on a giant big screen and the place was jam packed with a solid mass of humanity all trying to move along the sidewalk.

I think I'd like New York though for the variety of food and just people watching. The best clam chowder I ever tasted was on our first night in the city

Archived