Cataract operation

I had a cataract op this morning. 9am.

Straight after the op I couldn't see anything through that eye.

It's a bit better now, 9.45pm, but still not very good.

Can anyone whose had this op say how long it took to get something like normal vision back?

At the moment I'm wondering if I've made a mistake having the operation.

Obviously you have taken the bandage off,when you probably have been told not to :roll:my ex`s mum had hers done and i think it was about a week before it started to clear up.She also had a black eye.

Some people have an easy time of it for others it can take a while to settle down. The eye can be a bit imflamed and so the retina is stretched and so it can take a while for things to improve. Also you're usually fitted with a lens that means you'll be long sighted and will need reading glasses. Depending on how opaque the cataract was then things will seem very bright initially as well but make sure you continue putting the eye drops in and making sure you wear the eye shield at night for a couple of nights at least so you can't rub it whilst asleep.

I had a cataract op this morning. 9am.

Straight after the op I couldn't see anything through that eye.

It's a bit better now, 9.45pm, but still not very good.

Can anyone whose had this op say how long it took to get something like normal vision back?

At the moment I'm wondering if I've made a mistake having the operation.

I had both eyes done, three weeks apart, and was back to full vision within an hour. I had to wear sunglasses in bright light afterwards and still do, and I wear implanted permanent contacts but the vision is 20/20. There was no laser involved. It's sure a lot better than the heavy specs I'd had to wear for years.

Thank you everybody for your comments. They are all helpful and reassuring.

The improvement today is unbelievable. I hadn't realised how bad my eyes had got.

The sharpness and brilliance of colours is better than I ever remember.

I wonder if the artificial lens is better than the natural one.

What I was worried about yesterday was that when I started to get some vision it was like looking through blue smoke of a bonfire.

Until the actual op all I'd been concerned about was the skill of the surgeon.

But the pre op assessments are also vital, and these just seem to be done by ordinary joe's in hospital side rooms.

But they are taking measurements to select the correct lenses to implant.

If they don't get their part of the procedure correct the surgeons skill is wasted.

But, touchwood, in my case it's successful.

I'll definately have the other eye done.

The improvement today is unbelievable. I hadn't realised how bad my eyes had got.

An uncle had both his done in his late 80's. He'd still been driving until only a year or two before.

When his daughter drove him home and turned into his road he remarked on the new building almost opposite. It had been there about 5 years!! He accepted then that perhaps he should have given up driving a bit earlier. Either that or bitten the bullet and had the operation a lot sooner. He'd avoided it for years.

If you need the op, and they offer it, go for it. Ask questions about any downsides, but most people will be amazed at how simple and pain free it is - and how brilliant sight is afterwards. Long or short sight can often be significantly improved at the same time as an added bonus.

The sharpness and brilliance of colours is better than I ever remember.

I wonder if the artificial lens is better than the natural one.

What I was worried about yesterday was that when I started to get some vision it was like looking through blue smoke of a bonfire.

Until the actual op all I'd been concerned about was the skill of the surgeon.

But the pre op assessments are also vital, and these just seem to be done by ordinary joe's in hospital side rooms.

But they are taking measurements to select the correct lenses to implant.

If they don't get their part of the procedure correct the surgeons skill is wasted.

But, touchwood, in my case it's successful.

I'll definately have the other eye done.

Very pleased for you!

Archived