Car warranty ..Are they any good

Just bought a used vectra as i cant really afford something major like clutch going on it .Seen warranty for bout £240 for year thats top level of cover .Does anyone have car warranty and are they worth having plz????

I was paying over £300 a year with Warranty Direct for top cover. I kept the car bang upto date with servicing but when it came to making a claim they did every thing they could as to not pay for repairs, finished up selling the car because they would'nt honour the warrenty. Would'nt recomend them to anyone. I believe some warranties do cover the clutch but you need to read the small print very carefully first.

I got a "free" Warranty Direct warranty on a car years ago. Had exactly the same issues as the poster above. Rigorous servicing but the cambelt jumped teeth. They wouldn't pay out because they said it hadn't snapped to cause the damage.

Just put the money aside for a rainy day when things go wrong rather than a warranty.

We've had free warranties with cars before, and to be fair they have paid out for a faulty wing mirror that wouldn't retract. On the other hand they wouldn't do anything about an intermittent accelerator fault.

Personally I wouldn't pay for one, and we didn't on the last car as they wanted extra for it.

The garage is still liable for some period of time for any major faults anyway through normal trading laws.

I doubt that a clutch would be covered under most policies as it's a consumable and can be damaged by the user (slipping it excessively for example).

Thanks for your replys spoke to someone at company and work out 40 deposit and 22 a month x10 if car has fault ring them take to garage and they settle bill but my concern is if they start sayiang no thats not covered ..

Are their anymore on here with any feedback plz

Unless it has changed in the last few years, this is how it works.

The dealer pays a small premium to the warranty company (probably your £40 deposit), he can then basically charge the customer, whatever he can get away with. It is a profitable bit of extra revenue on the deal for him. The warranty is practically worthless, as it is worded to exclude almost everything, unless your repair somehow falls extremely coincidentally into how the policy is worded.

You may as well spend the premiums on lottery tickets.

As said by some posters already alot of warranties are pretty much pointless and just a drain on your hard earned cash when it comes to motors.

In saying that tho there are policies which can be good for you, you just need to bear in mind 90% of policies don't cover wear and tear they will only cover when the fault is officially knackered.

One of the down sides of warranties is you will never be able to tell if the warranty company will reject your claim before your in that situation because alot of them seem brilliant but they are so heavily protected with terms and conditions its hard to get a penny out of them.

I personally am not a warranty hater I just think you have to be very careful because a massive bit of it is just extra revenue they don't wish to provide a service they purely wish to take your cash.

You should just read the warranty and see how much is included and excluded for yourself.

It isn't the case that "nearly everything" is excluded, but on a newish modern car the chance of any significant non consumable part failing is quite low.

When i bought my car the dealers gave me a three month warranty,the central locking played up 2 months into it ,I checked the warranty ,the list of what it didnt cover was such it would have saved a good part of the rainforest by simply putting what it did cover...which was very little

Archived