Looking after children

At the end of the day everyone is in great shock over this case but yes many of us parents are wondering why a 5 year old was out without an adult at 7.30pm. I would never have a go at the parents, they must be going through hell, but when I saw the aerial shot showing their house and the place she was playing with her friend I felt physically sick. A large grassy area and a row of buildings are inbetween both areas. No way for even a "quick check".

Whilst we cannot watch our children 24hours and should not stop them playing outside we should all take precautions and lay down rules and boundaries as my parents did with me as a child. We insure our property just in case and lock our doors shouldn't we safeguard our children too? Moreso if fact. Our children are precious. Call me over-protective or a scaremongerer I don't care. The truth is it can happen and it does so we should do our best to prevent it.

At the end of the day everyone is in great shock over this case but yes many of us parents are wondering why a 5 year old was out without an adult at 7.30pm. I would never have a go at the parents, they must be going through hell, but when I saw the aerial shot showing their house and the place she was playing with her friend I felt physically sick. A large grassy area and a row of buildings are inbetween both areas. No way for even a "quick check".

Whilst we cannot watch our children 24hours and should not stop them playing outside we should all take precautions and lay down rules and boundaries as my parents did with me as a child. We insure our property just in case and lock our doors shouldn't we safeguard our children too? Moreso if fact. Our children are precious. Call me over-protective or a scaremongerer I don't care. The truth is it can happen and it does so we should do our best to prevent it.

What of those that are taken from hotels and bedrooms. As safe as we think they are there is always the chance so you just got to hope to God it never happens to you.

Do you realise she wasn't alone ........that she was playing out with friends?

And what is your post doing if it isn't "having a go at the parents"........you clearly are by casting judgement on their decision to allow their child to play in what they understood to be safe environment.

This can be just as harmful as allowing kids to wander around willy nilly.

Kids need to learn to be independent. They need to play wiyth other kids. They need to do stuff without their parents directing their every move. We've lost that perspective in the last twenty years, or so.

This is an appalling case, but thankfully such instances are rare. I hope that the majority of parents appreciate that the risks to their children are negligible and give them the space that they need to grow up.

Well said Sibon.

10 year olds are now treated like 7 year olds used to be. Many 13 years olds have never caught a bus alone - despite the danger of abduction or assault being no worse than ever it was.

The main problem for kids these days is the number of cars - no doubt being used to ferry kids around because it is too dangerous and scary for them to walk around the corner to a friends/ neighbours/ relative.

Archived