The confusing world of PENSIONS

Does anybody know where you can obtain truly independent advice?

This is subject to recent government legislation, however I fear the simple lack of independent (free, non-bias) advice might hurt people.

Due to the cuts, CAB will probably unable to cope:confused:

I would encourage a new debate on the topic.

Thank you

It seems to me like the government is forcing people to take out a private pension to make up for the fact that they will be unlikely to be able to provide a state pension for everyone in the future.

I for one cannot afford it at the moment, so I will be opting out when it eventually comes into force.

Does anybody know where you can obtain truly independent advice?

This is subject to recent government legislation, however I fear the simple lack of independent (free, non-bias) advice might hurt people.

Due to the cuts, CAB will probably unable to cope:confused:

I would encourage a new debate on the topic.

Thank you

Unless you know someone in the industry, it is unlikely that someone will give you free advice, but (as far as I am aware), all financial advisors are now independant and not tied to any high commision based products. Could be wrong on that though, but feel sure I read that recently, to avoid miss-selling.

It seems to me like the government is forcing people to take out a private pension to make up for the fact that they will be unlikely to be able to provide a state pension for everyone in the future.I for one cannot afford it at the moment, so I will be opting out when it eventually comes into force.

Yep, that is pretty much the size of it.

You can get independent advice (which will cost).

Or you can get free information.

Nobody is going to give meaningful advice for free (other than for a favour to a relative etc), you really get what you pay for, sorry.

If this is about the auto-enrolment changes then there are plenty of websites (inc Government ones) with information though

You cannot even be sure what age the 'retirement age' will be!

Thanks! Too true, I was 'young and dumb' and I opted out of SERPS ( in the 90's) and had no idea of the implications for the future!

It is a minefield for my age group, let alone current generations:loopy:

When you get paid, divide the money you actually get into 3 equal piles.

Use one pile to live on.

Save one pile (that's your pension.)

Pi88 the other pile up against the wall (if you feel so inclined.)

That's how grandmère explained it to me when I was 4.

I understood it then. - Do you understand it now?

It works.

Archived