Carlisle Street

Hi, My great grandad lived on Carlisle st in 1839 and he worked as a Labourer at the Iron Work. Would he have worked at Cyclops???? Any help on this would be fantastic. Regards Sarah

Carlisle St goes from Spital Hill to Sutherland Road, the rest being added the term East I believe,it's along road if it all existed then.There have been Cyclop Works at both ends of C St East but much later I think , so it's more probable that he worked somewhere like Bessemmers ,the original Iron founder which was around the Wicker area. Just a Guess.

Hi Sarah: Carlisle Street and Carlisle Street East are still there but of course the area is very different now from when it was mostly heavy industry and terraced housing. Here is a link to a 1930s photo (on the picturesheffield.com site) of Carlisle Street East..:)

Like the picture of the pub. I can't remember it being in business, say, in the early 50's. But there were some pubs on Carlisle St that were licensed to open to a later time to accomodate the steel workers coming off shift. I remember calling in one that had a bar counter which seemed higher than normal so that drinkers had to reach up a bit to get their glass. Anybody remember that.

Hi Sarah: Carlisle Street and Carlisle Street East are still there but of course the area is very different now from when it was mostly heavy industry and terraced housing. Here is a link to a 1930s photo (on the picturesheffield.com site) of Carlisle Street East..:)

Before my time but it is a cracking picture...:thumbsup:

Before my time but it is a cracking picture...:thumbsup:
The picturesheffield.com site is an excellent resource for photos of Sheffield, with many thousands available to view online (more can be seen in the Local Studies Library). The man standing in the doorway of the Royal Rifle Corps pub is perhaps Charles Frederick Swallow (1905 -1980) who is shown as the licensee in contemporary directories. He later had a grocer's shop on Talbot Road.

The picturesheffield.com site is an excellent resource for photos of Sheffield, with many thousands available to view online (more can be seen in the Local Studies Library). The man standing in the doorway of the Royal Rifle Corps pub is perhaps Charles Frederick Swallow (1905 -1980) who is shown as the licensee in contemporary directories. He later had a grocer's shop on Talbot Road.

Thanks for that info been looking on picture sheffield very interesting!