Should piped music be banned in public places?

I quite like the music they play when you're on hold on the phone. It's better than waiting in silence and I usually get caught singing along when they come back on the line. You're going to have to wait regardless. Once the music was so good I asked them to put me back on hold. I was joking of course! To sit in silence makes me feel like the wait is even longer. I sometimes feel that like they have hung up on me.

Dear all

I'm not in Sheffield, but was delighted to find people discussing this subject, and to see Pipedown mentioned.

I must disagree with Funke88's view that telephone muzak is OK. I once held for almost an hour to speak to Telewest's customer service department. I was subjected to loud (and unpleasant) "music". I was using a speakerphone, and trying to work at the same time...an impossible task. I was seriously stressed by the end of that call! :loopy:

I do not need this noise to feel reassured that I have not been cut off - a simple "Thank you for holding" every minute would suffice. We could be given the choice, of course: "Press 8 for silence" - the technology exists, but it seems that few are willing to use it. Abbey (formerly Abbey National) do not play music down the line.

Best quiet wishes,

Angie

Originally posted by Lickszz

Can't say that I am bothered whether music is played or not. If I didn't like it and felt that strongly about it I would simply take my business elsewhere.

Unfortunately, we usually don't have the choice...most shops and restaurants play muzak, and few are willing to turn it down (let alone off).

I am lucky to have the muzak-free John Lewis department store, and Waitrose and Sainsbury's supermarkets nearby, but you can't buy everything there!

It's not just about disliking the choice of music, though. Those who are hard of hearing suffer because most hearing aids cannot discriminate about which sounds they amplify. The blind also have a difficult time, as they lose the sounds (voices and footfalls) that help them orientate themselves. Most muzak-players are unaware of these things.

I left Holmes Place ("health" club) because of the music. It was everywhere - including in the shower!!!

It's important to let those in control know that you don't like the stuff, rather than just leaving. Otherwise the situation is not likely to change.

Best quiet wishes,

Angie

Archived