Is hitchhiking a thing of the past in Britain today?

I think it is not as popular because there is more means of transport but peter sutcliffe also probably made people think twice

Yeah but wasn't that back in the 70's?...That's when I was doing it....both hitching and picking people up.

Nowadays I wouldn't 'deam' of picking someone up at a bus stop (unless I knew them personally, and they knew me), before long you'd be pulled by plod and asked what the hell you think you were doing trying to entice people into your vehicle! :shakes::nono:

Yeah but wasn't that back in the 70's?...That's when I was doing it....both hitching and picking people up.

Nowadays I wouldn't 'deam' of picking someone up at a bus stop (unless I knew them personally, and they knew me), before long you'd be pulled by plod and asked what the hell you think you were doing trying to entice people into your vehicle! :shakes::nono:

People shouldn't be doing it now, if you can't afford transport then don't travel unless your willing to walk

It's not only not safe for the hitchhiker but it's also unsafe for the person picking them up

Why take the risk?

People shouldn't be doing it now, if you can't afford transport then don't travel unless your willing to walk

It's not only not safe for the hitchhiker but it's also unsafe for the person picking them up

Why take the risk?

Well yes I agree. To a point, but it's such a shame really when there are what is probably the majority of people who are good, kind, honest people, yet they can't do a good deed for a fellow human being for fear of being 'accused' of something, or fearing for their own safety!

It's a sad world!

Well yes I agree. To a point, but it's such a shame really when there are what is probably the majority of people who are good, kind, honest people, yet they can't do a good deed for a fellow human being for fear of being 'accused' of something, or fearing for their own safety!

It's a sad world!

Well while we have evil people on the streets, it's probably the best policy to have but yes it's a shame

Well while we have evil people on the streets, it's probably the best policy to have but yes it's a shame

We'll always have 'bad' people on the street though. It won't change, and I suspect there were 'bad' people on the street even in 'my day'. So in reality 'people' havn't changed that much. It's the culture and attitudes that have changed!

We'll always have 'bad' people on the street though. It won't change, and I suspect there were 'bad' people on the street even in 'my day'. So in reality 'people' havn't changed that much. It's the culture and attitudes that have changed!

Yes attitudes have changed alot but for good reason

If you want to pick the occasional hitchhiker up then just be careful and judge who it is your picking up carefully

If you can't come to a decision or you feel abit uneasy then keep driving on

Its all about judging the character your picking up though that does not guarantee your safety obviously

There would more likely have been thousands of cases of assault from hitchhikers that never reported it

Look at what is happening regarding saville

It is possible it was more dangerous to hitchhike then than it is now

Yes attitudes have changed alot but for good reason

If you want to pick the occasional hitchhiker up then just be careful and judge who it is your picking up carefully

If you can't come to a decision or you feel abit uneasy then keep driving on

Its all about judging the character your picking up though that does not guarantee your safety obviously

I'm puzzled how you would judge someone from a fleeting glimpse. I can remember back in the day, I was pretty much (by todays standards) a scruffy sod, with long hair down my back and tatty unkempt beard, with tatty jeans and a smelly afghan coat. I always got a lift though with no problems.

It's all a bit weird isn't it?

I thought about this a short while back, you don't even see blokes with trade plates these days. I used to hitch a lift to and from college every day, 8 miles, and from college to home at weekends quite often. Never got stranded, journey didn' take much longer than driving, and you met some decent folks too.

Archived