Is hitchhiking a thing of the past in Britain today?

Well when it really comes down to it you can't judge a character and know 100% their harmless.

Its best to just not put yourself in a position of having to hitch a lift in the first place

We have more public transport now then they were back then and it covers just about anywhere you want to go

If you don't want to pay for it then that's the risks hitchers face

There would more likely have been thousands of cases of assault from hitchhikers that never reported it

Look at what is happening regarding saville

It is possible it was more dangerous to hitchhike then than it is now

Yeah I know it's off at a tangent, but it's funny how that story comes crawling out of the woodwork after the bloke has passed away!

Yeah I know it's off at a tangent, but it's funny how that story comes crawling out of the woodwork after the bloke has passed away!

No they int pete, it's all to do with protecting people's reputations

It was already set for it to come out when he died

But he can't be convicted postumously surely? Is it compensation they're after?

He should be sent on trial pete in my opinion, with evidence they have then him being dead shouldn't matter

Do you know the true meaning of innocent until proven guilty though pete? ...even though you know he's guilty

He should be sent on trial pete in my opinion, with evidence they have then him being dead shouldn't matter

Do you know the true meaning of innocent until proven guilty though pete? ...even though you know he's guilty

Don't see how he can be tried when he's dead!

Anyway, maybe you should start a topic on it, cos we'll get our wrists slapped here for being off topic! :suspect:

I'll let someone else start one if they want

But I can't see why someone can't be tried when their dead when you have this much evidence

In the eyes of the public he is guilty

In the eyes of the law he's innocent

That is undermining the law of innocent until proven guilty which should not ever be undermined if you want that as the law

Back on topic though pete, when was the last time you picked an hiker up

I'll let someone else start one if they want

But I can't see why someone can't be tried when their dead when you have this much evidence

In the eyes of the public he is guilty

In the eyes of the law he's innocent

That is undermining the law of innocent until proven guilty which should not ever be undermined if you want that as the law

Back on topic though pete, when was the last time you picked an hiker up

I honestly can't remember...a very long time ago! I've seen the odd one now and again, but it's mostly when I'm only going a couple of junctions down the motorway or something, so I've assumed it wouldn't be useful to them. But had I been travelling any distance then yes I probably would have picked them up.

Quickly back to Mr Saville. Why is he guilty in the eyes of the public? Why should it be taken as read that he's guilty? It's just someones word, and he's not here to defend himself by refuting the allegations? I know there's been a program on telly about it, but I didn't see it!

Archived