Is hitchhiking a thing of the past in Britain today?

So you would have picked them up?

Conversation's gone way off piste! There's a massive thread about this already.

In answer to your question Pete, I'd have been happy to offer them a lift, but not if I'd been on my own. Hitching was a popular form of transport when I was a student in the 90's, I don't see that dangers have changed much, probably more that more people drive now? Maybe they're all just soft! :)

Conversation's gone way off piste! There's a massive thread about this already.

In answer to your question Pete, I'd have been happy to offer them a lift, but not if I'd been on my own. Hitching was a popular form of transport when I was a student in the 90's, I don't see that dangers have changed much, probably more that more people drive now? Maybe they're all just soft! :)

Yes I know the thread swerved there for a while, but never mind. I think probably the dangers for hitcher and driver were always and are still the same. It's the paranoia now that changes things somewhat. I don't think it's a case that people drive more now, or even that transport is better (as someone said).

Yeah, I think it's more of a cultural thing. Hitching was just something a lot of people used to do - often for the fun of it as well as being a way of saving money. Perhaps to a generation brought up in a paranoid society, it just doesn't occur to people to do this now.

Yeah but wasn't that back in the 70's?...That's when I was doing it....both hitching and picking people up.

Nowadays I wouldn't 'deam' of picking someone up at a bus stop (unless I knew them personally, and they knew me), before long you'd be pulled by plod and asked what the hell you think you were doing trying to entice people into your vehicle! :shakes::nono:

sign of the times pete,Young people want to jump off a bridge with a huge elastic band tied to their arse or white water raft ,drop E's dance under a full moon ,twitter or text..when I first went to,asia ;thailand it was just a few hippies,traverlers ,ecentric writers , guys on R and R from the indo china war,,the people there now are the ones who used to go to blackpool or spain.

I think people are alot more paranoid now for all kinds of reason's

I was like you in the 70's long hair scruffy but I hitched all over the world uk,states ,cananda ,oz ,Nz, europe ,nuthouse countrys=greece,turkey ,iran ,afghanistan,india ,indonesia,.it was the done thing then .

I new one bloke in oz In the early 70's from sheffield who'd done the overland trip..UK to OZ 4 times :gag:

he did one trip from sheffield to sydney on $200 hitching most of the way ,worked is passage on a

trawler from singerpore to cairns with half a kilo of hash in is pack to sell in sydney ...the world as changed :hihi:

plus now don't forget you've got imformation overload ..the internet,tripadvisor,lonely planet guide books, its like one big effin global package tour ,whereas back 30 40 years ago you just took a chance

sign of the times pete,Young people want to jump off a bridge with a huge elastic band tied to their arse or white water raft ,drop E's dance under a full moon ,twitter or text..when I first went to,asia ;thailand it was just a few hippies,traverlers ,ecentric writers , guys on R and R from the indo china war,,the people there now are the ones who used to go to blackpool or spain.

I think people are alot more paranoid now for all kinds of reason's

I was like you in the 70's long hair scruffy but I hitched all over the world uk,states ,cananda ,oz ,Nz, europe ,nuthouse countrys=greece,turkey ,iran ,afghanistan,india ,indonesia,.it was the done thing then .

I new one bloke in oz In the early 70's from sheffield who'd done the overland trip..UK to OZ 4 times :gag:

he did one trip from sheffield to sydney on $200 hitching most of the way ,worked is passage on a

trawler from singerpore to cairns with half a kilo of hash in is pack to sell in sydney ...the world as changed :hihi:

plus now don't forget you've got imformation overload ..the internet,tripadvisor,lonely planet guide books, its like one big effin global package tour ,whereas back 30 40 years ago you just took a chance

Happy days eh? :)

Archived