Definition of poverty?

For example, you could probably live a fairly comfy life as a single person on £16,500, ?

And where was this opinion dreamed up!!!

I have to make a salary target of no less than 24k to live 'ok' and I am single person with no children, still after tax this amount is measly compared to my outgoings.....

Cost of living has risen ridiculously and the salaries do not reflect this whatsoever. If you look around on the job sites, the salaries are usually no more than around 14-16k.

Poverty in the UK, is usually known as relative poverty, where a household cannot afford certain consummer goods, that society in general takes for granted.

Poverty in the Third World is absolute, where people have nothing and can suffer malnourishment and even death.

Indeed.

My point is that 'poverty' should not be a term applied just because people can't afford all the consumer luxuries they want.

I'd really like a huge collection of exotic cars but I can't afford it, while others can - must I therefore consider myself to be in poverty?

I have to make a salary target of no less than 24k to live 'ok' and I am single person with no children, still after tax this amount is measly compared to my outgoings.....

Cost of living has risen ridiculously and the salaries do not reflect this whatsoever. If you look around on the job sites, the salaries are usually no more than around 14-16k.

While another poster on the previous page says that she manages very well, with luxuries, on much less than £16500.

Perhaps you just need to live within your means.

Anyone is entitled to apply for working tax credits if they are on a low wage, single, married, kids or no kids.

There is a tax credit for workers and a tax credit for those with children which anyone regardless of income can apply for.

Everyone is entitled to apply but they won't all get it.

how many holidays do you have per year?

how many nights out do you have in a week?

how many times do you eat out or get take away per week?

do you run a car?

how much do you spend on fashion clothing?

and if anybody has seen that programme where there's people in their 30's still being bailed out by mummy and daddy whilst living well beyond their means, I suspect that's your answer ;)

While another poster on the previous page says that she manages very well, with luxuries, on much less than £16500.

Perhaps you just need to live within your means.

I do, however, I still find it a struggle sometimes with the increase of living costs and council tax going up etc..... does the other poster have a mortgage or a reasonable rent such as council housing? It all makes a difference.

how many holidays do you have per year?

how many nights out do you have in a week?

Not many due to work, but yes out more than I am in

how many times do you eat out or get take away per week?

as few but as I have a successful fella he pays for a lot of it, and I do go with friends and such but still don't throw my cash around

do you run a car?

yes

how much do you spend on fashion clothing?

An amount obviously but not ridiculous spending, again, but not as much as I would like to, I shop in the high street HOF etc....

and if anybody has seen that programme where there's people in their 30's still being bailed out by mummy and daddy whilst living well beyond their means, I suspect that's your answer ;)

I can see how some people do end up in a mess like that but for me, i just have a house, car and a nice standard of living. I do find that prices of gas, electricity and CT all keep going up and my salary doesn't increase everytime Britian raises it's cost of living.

I cannot see how anyone who lives alone with a mortgage or decent house rent and car, can afford to live on less than 20k.

I can see how some people do end up in a mess like that but for me, i just have a house, car and a nice standard of living. I do find that prices of gas, electricity and CT all keep going up and my salary doesn't increase everytime Britian raises it's cost of living.

I cannot see how anyone who lives alone with a mortgage or decent house rent and car, can afford to live on less than 20k.

A salary of £16,500 after deductions equates to around £1,000 p/m (possibly a little more). Up until about 18 months ago, I was renting a gorgeous 1 bed garden flat in S11, for £500p/m inclusive of all bills. Had my income been £16,500, that would have left me with roughly £500 per month for all other living expenses. I would hardly have been living a life of unfettered luxury if that was all I'd had left over, but it would have been enough to live a comfortable life.

My first salary as a graduate was £12,000 p/a, and I lived in a rented 1 bed flat in Manchester, ran a car and lived a comfortable life on that - OK, that was 10 years ago, but I find it hard to believe the cost of living has increased by nearly 5K a year since then. Mine certainly hasn't anyway.

I can see how some people do end up in a mess like that but for me, i just have a house, car and a nice standard of living.

So what exactly are you griping about? I had to survive as a single person with a mortgage, on less than a fifth of what you've got coming in. Cry me a river.

I agree with this our house hold income is about £25k with a mortgage one car 2 children and a few luxuries (broadband, sky, PS3 nice television) but I cant afford a holiday and we almost never eat out or go out maybe once a month if we are lucky and I know for a fact that of I where on my own on around £19.5k I would really struggle to pay all the bills and would probably end up back with my parents. Its not poverty of course not but its also not comfortable perhaps they ought to re-word it.

Archived