Definition of poverty?

i think a few people on here need to start opening their eyes to how some people live - dole is what £45 a week or something and people do live on this and they pay rent (£5 or more) plus bills.

Saying you couldn't live alone on less than £16,500 is pathetic.

I do, however, I still find it a struggle sometimes with the increase of living costs and council tax going up etc..... does the other poster have a mortgage or a reasonable rent such as council housing? It all makes a difference.

I dont have a mortgage or any hope (or desire in the current climate) to get one.

I spend 250 a month on rent, 50 pound council tax, I have a beat up old car although I use public transport most of the time. I cook most of my own food, I'm veggie so that keeps costs down.

Gas and electricity I save by using jumpers and turning the lights off when I'm not in the room. I buy second hand clothes, drink in cheap pubs (a lot), smoke rollies and my holidays are generally in a tent :)

Things are tight now and then but I love what I do and I can always get a part time job if I want to. I think I have a wonderful life.

Poverty to me is not having access to clean water, heating or food, not being able to take care of your children. Some people in england can make claim to this but on a global scale I think we do pretty well.

That's because it's all relative. £16,500 when you have a family and a home to pay for and maintain is a struggle; when you live in a council property it's a bit better; when you are single and have no housing costs it's party time.

It's not all relative though.

Everyone today is far better off than most rich people 200 years ago.

The fact that someone earns 60% of the average doesn't mean they are poor, in fact it means nothing at all.

If you lived in Monaco and earned that you'd be rich beyond the means of 95% of the UK.

Peoples personal circumstances do make a difference, but if you as a single person only just earn enough to live on, what kind of idiot then starts a family?

I can see how some people do end up in a mess like that but for me, i just have a house, car and a nice standard of living. I do find that prices of gas, electricity and CT all keep going up and my salary doesn't increase everytime Britian raises it's cost of living.

I cannot see how anyone who lives alone with a mortgage or decent house rent and car, can afford to live on less than 20k.

Buying a house isn't a right you know. You can't claim poverty because you buy a house and find that you've not left enough income for the luxury of running a car.

I agree with this our house hold income is about £25k with a mortgage one car 2 children and a few luxuries (broadband, sky, PS3 nice television) but I cant afford a holiday and we almost never eat out or go out maybe once a month if we are lucky and I know for a fact that of I where on my own on around £19.5k I would really struggle to pay all the bills and would probably end up back with my parents. Its not poverty of course not but its also not comfortable perhaps they ought to re-word it.

You have broadband and sky, it's not even within shouting distance of poverty. And presumably the children didn't just appear one day.

You have broadband and sky, it's not even within shouting distance of poverty. And presumably the children didn't just appear one day.

No I know thats exactly what I meant, what I was trying to say was that the government have worded it wrong perhaps £16500 should be called the comfort line. And no the children didnt just appear one day I suppose when the children are at school and the Mrs can work more hours we will be well above the "comfort line".

Buying a house isn't a right you know. You can't claim poverty because you buy a house and find that you've not left enough income for the luxury of running a car.

I wasn't claiming poverty, quite simply stating that from peoples opinions they manage to live on 12-14k a year and I cannot see how this is done.

After I have worked hard all week, I would not be happy buying clothes from second hand shops or catching the bus, or not being able to go for lunch with friends etc..

People say running a car is a luxury - what is this, the 1950's?

I, as a woman, personally do not feel safe without my car at night, I work on a route that would mean I'd have to catch 2-3 buses to get there and I am not prepared to. There are lots of reasons why I have a car, and I don't drive a brand new merc so I am not sure what kind of statement 'luxury of running a car', really is....

Archived