Who was the best school teacher in Sheffield?

Teabag

By far the best teacher at Waltheof School in the 60`s was Mr A Mawson, an elderly gentleman who taught the kids with passion and kindness. He was truly a lovely man who left a considerable impression on me, a different kind of impression to the one that "Pop" left on my right hand for running on the grass verge!

Good post.

Got a few myself, but i do remember when i was in nursery i had two great teachers from Pipworth, never knew their second names, but they were called Collette and Suzanne -seemed to be good friends themselves as i remember. Oh and if ur on here by any chance, i was the little boy that brought you both chocolates before i broke up for christmas -although suzanne couldn't eat them apparently as chocolate gave her migranes, so that worked out well... 8)

Mr North Crosspool a real survivor History Teacher, Jap Survivor, Water Torture.

and Mr ??? , SIlverdale, English Teacher taught me more about language than anyone else even though a smack on the skull for forgetting was annoying. Do you remember Ominous/Forshadowing Disaster ?

i agree with 2 of the teachers mentioned.i was at hinde house 67-70.mr glover was a great teacher.strict but very fair unless you forgot your towel for games,then it was slipper time.schools would be in a much better state today if pupils respected teachers like we used to do.when mr edwards walked in to assembly you dared hardly breathe out in case he thought you were talking or whispering,he'd soon be on to you.

secondly id like to mention eric chambers at beaver hill school.he taught history and is a fantastic guy.his lessons were always interesting and he was very fair and entertaining.still see him every few years,a brilliant man.

Is the City School the old City Grammar?

I( would like to nominate Mrs Chester-Jones who was our biology teacher at the City Grammar School in the sixties and managed to get me from bottom of the class in Biology to a GCE grade 3!

She also had the job of teaching us sex education, after the usual stuff with rabbits we had a lesson where we could ask any questions about sex. As it was a mixed class we all wrote down our questions and placed them in a bag so when she drew them out we were anonymous.

The most spectacular question was one from one of the girls (I assume) asking about how big they could reasonably 'take'. Chester-Jones did the usual answer about how big babies are etc, then in case the girls thought that a baby might be a special case, she told us with a smile that there was a book in the school library where a girl was 'raped' with a cucumber. After we had revived all the girls that fainted (we were only 12 and were all less streetwise than todays kids), the class finished and we all rushed off to the library to find the book (she wouldnt tell us the title). Nobody ever found it.:)