Who was the best school teacher in Sheffield?

Teabag

hi joey my name is dawn i was at chaucer from 76-83 whats ur name we might know each other and my husband was there from 77/78-84 his name is wayne pryor.

Its strange that so few ex-city grammarians seem to post on here

I'd nominate my sister's old headmaster at Bents Green School. (1970's to 1980's)

Mr Bailey.

This chap was a great bear of a man, who worked tirelessly in special needs education.

He cared deeply about the kids in his charge. I don't know of many of the pupils there who did not go to his office every morning on their way to class for an encouraging word and a hug.

He brought out the best in the kids he was in charge of.

My sister loved that school so much, that she would plead to be allowed to become a "resident" pupil (the school proided a boarding" facility, as well as the day school. That school brought her on, educationally and socially, in leaps and bounds.

I remember in 1980, my (then 14yrs old) sister who has learning difficulties being given the "Progress Prize" for having made the most effort, and having advanced most in her class.

We were written to, in secret, to be told that she was being awarded this prize, but we were asked that we not to tell her that it was being awarded, as they wanted to surprise the recipients.

She thought we had gone to watch her singing in the school choir.

When her name was anounced as one of the prizewinners, her face was an absolute picture. It was a wonderful moment. It will remain with me for ever.

PT

• 2 weeks later...

the most influential teacher i had was miss atkins at waltheof

she always gave me the reality check when i needed it.

also mr lovatt from acres hill he left to go to manor lodge and he was great.

he told me that i would one day cut my own throat with my sharp tongue and he was right.

miss dixon from acres hill who told me i was a flibberty gibbet with a butterfly mind. she actually wrote this on my report.

no i think its got to be mr crowe from chaucer comp

He was very easy to lead off topic:D. Never got much work done when he was "teaching" us. Even more so in the 4th & 5th:D.

I'll second this one. I was at Chaucer in the early eighties and he is the one teacher who used to keep us laughing all the time.

See:D

i was there inbetween 1976-1982

Same as me:o:).

Tony Boreham....Science

AKA Joe 90:D.

He used to teach Chemistry when I was there, I had my chemistry taught by Dr Hulley (a really good chemist).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised that a "small" secondary school such as Waltheof has attracted so many replies to this thread, I remember most of teachers mentioned...

Class of '79.

I particularly remember Mr Robert Goodrum (metalwork) cannot say its fond memories :( I bet he was a fine teacher, but from the very first lesson of his I was in he took the *iss out of me.

Anyone remember him reading out the lunch menu at the annex?