Who was the best school teacher in Sheffield?

Teabag

Hi Roux

Mr Blaby was still at Waltheof in 1999 when my yopungest daughter was going there. Mr Batty was a union rep for the teachers as I remember him being on the news when teachers were goin on strike sometime in the 80s.

WOW I left Waltheof in '79 and Mr Blaby didn't look like a spring chicken back then! I'm amazed he was still teaching in '99. We must have been more chentle on them than I remember ;)

I've seen "mad man" (Dave?) Batty on TV acting as union spokesperson, again I was surprised to see him.. Were we tought by student teachers? Does it matter? No because in those long distant memories it was great fun.

I think one of the best teacher's ever was Mr. Simpkin (Jack) from Heeley Bank in the mid to late 50's. Although in Toronto I've been able to keep up with a few kids from his various classes, and it seems they are constantly reminded of the life's lessons he taught us. Any Heeley Banker's remember him???

• 2 weeks later...

Notre Dame High School - Left 2000

Best Teachers have got to be

Mrs Margaret Peppell (Science teacher) - she made you work bloody hard. I passed my science GCSE because of her.

Mrs June Taylor (Maths teacher) - Brilliant - what more can i say

Mr Sean O'Connor (History teacher) - He had a board wiper that was a frog called Dennis- He often throw it at you. (He was a laugh and used to call my mate peanut head) Good teacher at same time though.

Notre Dame - A brilliant school!!!! I would go back anyday

Park Hill Middle School - Mrs Moore sticks in my mind along with Mr Sharpe, the headmaster as being good teachers. John Anderson sticks in my mind as being a friend of my parents.

Rainbow Forge Infant school - Dennis Buck and Laurie Atkinson were good guys.

Carter Lodge - To echo previous posts, Carol Jones was good, Mr Fisher - VERY 'old-school' but bloody good. Mr Stapely instilled in me a life long interest in History but Ute Elliot's classes, primarily German, had a profound effect on me the woman is a star.

Notre Dame High School - Left 2000

Best Teachers have got to be

Mrs Margaret Peppell (Science teacher) - she made you work bloody hard. I passed my science GCSE because of her.

Mrs June Taylor (Maths teacher) - Brilliant - what more can i say

Mr Sean O'Connor (History teacher) - He had a board wiper that was a frog called Dennis- He often throw it at you. (He was a laugh and used to call my mate peanut head) Good teacher at same time though.

Notre Dame - A brilliant school!!!! I would go back anyday

Mrs Peppell is my head of year and yes she does make you work hard :| :| and mrs taylor she is a form tutor in my year group ... do you know mrs beeston?? if you do she is my form tutor!

Tom :)

2 teachers get my vote........

Firth Park Grammar School in the sixties.

Spike Johnson.....History.

I don't think there was a kid in school that didn't respect him.

Brilliant story-teller.

Lived well into his nineties.

Mr. Harrison....Science.

He just new how to teach and made his lessons interesting.

I remember he was a fan of the "Goon shows" and would bring his old "78" records into class at the end of term.

I went to a sixth form college in Scunthorpe and had a truly inspirational English teacher. His name was Alastair Michie and he was a wonderful wonderful man.

He showed faith and belief in his students. A very good teacher.

Not strictly Sheffield I know but a great teacher none the less.