Who was the best school teacher in Sheffield?

Teabag

• 4 weeks later...

Mr Fryer - Wybourn school early/mid 80's. Was terrified of him at first, but he was the only teacher I ever had that made pupils learn their tables by heart, and spell words until they knew them inside and out! Proper teacher in my book. John I believe his name was.

In your opinion who was the best school teacher?

I nominate John Roe - Carter Lodge School

'Boris' was 'ace':thumbsup:

I also nominate George Arblaster.....Art teacher at Carter Lodge in the 60's

Brilliant and patient teacher.....he is why and what I am today, an Art teacher in Canada. Thankyou George.

• 2 months later...
Colin Henstock, Headmaster of Herdings Primary in the 60's

and

Derek Bradley, Maths Teacher at Gleadless Valley Secondary in the 70's

I remember colin hemstock - Fab headteacher - I loved the stories about peter popplejack the pig he used to make up. Told the ones I could remember to my kids when they were little.

• 1 month later...

A.J. Holdsworth at Burngreave Sec Mod was an outstanding teacher in the early 1950s, and prior to that I remember Ken Holmes, Miss Turton and Frank Connelly at Newhall. Connelly, an easy-going little Irishman, was one of the great characters at Newhall. There was also a teacher called Twigg, who was a good cricketer and in charge of sport, and a teacher called Mr Teet, who was very good at drawing and art. Mind you, I didn't like Miss Coupe. She was far too bossy! But Miss Guest (who liked a smoke behind the blackboard) was someone who was always a favourite with the pupils of my era.