Who was the best school teacher in Sheffield?

Teabag

It,s got to be Miss Stead, Limpsfield Middle School, she was a star!!!

my mum used to look after her little girls, do you remember miss white and mr broad they were and still are great teachers

Jack Todhunter (Mr T/Sir) who was my English teacher from year 9 (Year 3 high school) through six form. He taught me at Aston Comprehensive school where he nearly got the sack for the Infamous Mrs Throggs' yearbook thanks to Gestapo Lowe. I don't know anyone who didn't like him. We knew how far we could push him and what would make him laugh.

Every lesson he'd show us something that wasn't necessarily to do with set texts or anything he'd been asked to teach. If he read an article in the paper and found it interesting, he'd have photocopied it by 9' oclock and brought it in, just because he could. He treated you as an individual and sought to inspire each and every one of us by whatever we were interested in - even if he wasn't. He fuelled my love of etymology and never dumbed down the power of contemporary writing against the classics.

I'll never forget him spending a good twenty minutes driving one lad mental by telling him he could "lend a pen to anyone he wanted" "yeah but Sir I NEED to lend a pen" "well lend it him" "yeah but sir I need to lend a pen."

Full of respect for him and every day I aim to inspire the children I teach as much as he inspired me. He even gave me pep talks as an adult when i started working in education. He still teaches at Newman school in Rotherham and is involved in many a little project on the side with the author Steve Alton.

He sounds like a lovely teacher and it's great to see how he inspired you.... lets hope he's still inspiring his pupils now. I work in a school and I would only hope that I would be an inspiration to the children I work with like your Mr T.

Edited by Big Gunz

I noninate ROSS CROWE of Chaucer. Always having a laugh and nothing was to much bother. He started at Chaucer around 1970 and as far as I know he,s still there, Many happy memories not only for me but i bet for all his pupils over the years.

My two favourite teachers were Mr Williamson, Maths / Form Teacher at Carter Lodge (1968) get him chatting about about his exploits as a pilot in the war and double maths was gone in no time.

The other was Mr Driscoll at Rainbow Forge (1964 ish). What he didnt know about mountaineering wasn't worth knowing. Took us to meet Joe Brown the climber, and based every lesson on mountains, volcanoes and the great outdoors. Mr Fisher at CL wasn't bad either.

• 1 month later...
I noninate ROSS CROWE of Chaucer. Always having a laugh and nothing was to much bother. He started at Chaucer around 1970 and as far as I know he,s still there, Many happy memories not only for me but i bet for all his pupils over the years.

I remember him when i went too chaucer for a short while in the 70s made me feel welcome from day one, was very popular with just about everyone in the school, but my favourite was dick bate PE teacher at abbeydale grange also in the 70s.