Who was the best school teacher in Sheffield?

Teabag

I remember a lovely old man called Joe Collier who taught German at High Storrs in the 60's. He was a kind and gentle person and probably is no longer with us. God rest his beautiful soul.

Agree with an earlier reply that Mr Bailey at Bents Green was a wonderful head but as for teachers at that school Mr Orgill (sadly no longer with us) and Mr Smith (Francis) were two of the best.

Someone has mentioned in the Bents Green School thread, a few days ago, the very sad news that Mr Bailey passed away a couple of years ago.

Yes cheers mate, that was also me. Mr Bailey was a gem. Many years later I owned a pub in the peak district and it wasnt until shortly after he died that I discovered he lived only about ten minutes away- if I'd only known. His wife and daughter are quite eccentric and ride around the village of Biddulph moor in a pony and trap!

2 teachers get my vote........

Firth Park Grammar School in the sixties.

Spike Johnson.....History.

I don't think there was a kid in school that didn't respect him.

Brilliant story-teller.

Lived well into his nineties.

Mr. Harrison....Science.

He just new how to teach and made his lessons interesting.

I remember he was a fan of the "Goon shows" and would bring his old "78" records into class at the end of term.

I went to firth park in the seventies, left in 78. spike was still teaching and still a well respected history teacher. my sister was taught by him in the 80's too. I have a book "the brushes story" written by spike telling the rich and colourful history of the brushes farm and brush house that later became the brushes building of firthpark school, an interesting book if your interested in local history.

Did he teach History?. I went to St Peters and we had a Mr O'Connor who then went onto Notre Dame when St Peter's closed.

He was sooo good looking, I had a huge crush on him all through school, he was also a very good teacher.

Yep it's the St Peter's Mr O'Connor....but my Dad taught him everything! Mr McNerney definately the best teacher ever!!

For me there is only one candidate.

Step forward Mrs Cooper who taught my class M4C at Nethergreen Middle School between 1980-1981.

She made school more enjoyable than I had ever known, before and after. She also pushed me to get into the top class at King Edward VII (from where I slunk back to 'middle of the road', but hey ho).

Even the class idiots seemed to take an interest in their school work under Mrs Cooper.

I salute thee.:thumbsup:

Mrs Cooper taught one of my kids, another fabulous human being is Mrs Jubb who retired about 10 years ago from NGJS.

Mrs Cooper taught one of my kids, another fabulous human being is Mrs Jubb who retired about 10 years ago from NGJS.

Is that the same Mrs Cooper who taught history at KES????? If so, she was fairly .... unique.....!!!!! :hihi: :hihi: