Who was the best school teacher in Sheffield?

Teabag

hugh fuller taught urchins like me to apreciate literture but not how to spell mr openshaw both at burton street school mr vickers our woodwork teacher at upperthorpe who said i would never make a living with my hands while I had a hole in my arse Iwas a self employd builder till I retired Iwas at burton stree from 1942 to1953

Edited by davebrmm

at yewlands it has to be without a doubt lynne coy just won an award for her teaching abilities, evan though i didnt no her that well all you have to do is say her name to any past yewlands pupils and they no her.

here here spadge she was a brill teacher and did her job well all the pupils loves her

Is this the same Ms Coy who used to teach P.E?If it is, she used to be a really tough woman, a real ball breaker - not the kind of Teacher you ever took liberties with....

yes thats the 1 she was brill but get on the wrong side of her and you knew about it lol:hihi:

• 2 months later...

When i first started school a Miss Burrell was my teacher, she was so kind and lovely and I always remember that she gave me a book on wild flowers when I left which I have to this day some 50years ago. At Rowlinson there was a Mr Curly who I had crush on, he was quite dishy. He was the Sports Master and because I was in the School Athletics team he used to get me off having to do Maths which I hated, instead I did training. Oh happy days;)

• 4 months later...
Woodbourne Road Infants and Juniors '63-'68 Mrs Gleadall, Mrs Hall (she asked my mum if she would help me with reading at home. Mum told her that school was for education and home was for playing! Thankfully Mrs Hall gave me lots of help with Janet and John books) and Mr Woodcock.

Home tuition '69-'70 Mrs Valarde. The best. :thumbsup:

Jordanthorpe Comp (now Meadowhead) '70-'74 Mr Porter geography, Mr Biggins (I think) history, Mr Stocks English, Mr Beech drama (he gave fencing swords to a class of 13 year olds!), Miss Castledine English and of course deputy head Miss Upperdine and head Miss Prebble.

I remember all the Jordanthorpe names, didn't Miss Castledine marry one of the other teachers?

One other who stands out for me was Miss Webber, used to pick you out of your seat by the ear it you miss behaved, and Miss Shablovs of course, often lit a cig. in class and could throw any object from any distance and always hit the target.

Happy days.

Is that the same Mrs Cooper who taught history at KES????? If so, she was fairly .... unique.....!!!!! :hihi: :hihi:

No different Mrs Cooper! I did bump into the latter one though in Bingham Park a few years ago and she was very pleasant and friendly, I remember she was quite fearsome at KES :)

did not work in a factory.what is your problem.born 1944 left school at 14 started work at 14 one week after leaving school.please do not call me a liar again as it is now getting boring.move on and get a life.

If you left school when you said you did you and your school were breaking the law.Please read.http://www.brookmans.com/history/chancellors/ch2.shtml