Who was the best school teacher in Sheffield?

Teabag

I remember Mr. Beynon, met him several times when I went into WGS with my Dad (often when Dad was taking play rehearsals). Harry was smallish as I recall, and yes, I remember the trademark tweed jackets. he was always pleasant to this little boy, as was a larger man called Mr. Barker, who for some reason was called "Bink" by everybody. As for Pinion, my Dad did not seem to have much to do with him, though I remember him grumbling about him at home.

Perhaps my dad taught you too? He was John Atherton, known as Jack (although I think the pupils called him Charlie behind his back) and was Head Of English. He left WGS in 1962 to take a deputy headship at Coalville Grammar School, then became a headmaster in Burton on Trent. He passed away in 2004 aged 86.

Athy you're a star! Your Dad set me on the path to a successful 40 year career in journalism. He was the first person to recognise my talent for English. It's not stretching things to say I just about owe him everything.. Yes he was known as Charlie...Ididn't know his given name. He had a sly sense of humour, singling me out in English Lit one day...."Here's a boy, " he began," who, confronted with an examination that required a 50 per cent pass rate, here's the lad who'd get 51".

In other words I did just enough. I went to a reunion a couple of years ago hoping to meet him and tell him what an influence he had been, so it's sad I can simply pay tribute to his memory. You can be really proud of your GRAND DAD! Sincerely, Robert Tomlinson (once grandly titled Deputy Head Boy and Captain of Tennis!!!!!!

Edited by TrampShining
Forgot to include my name

• 5 weeks later...

helbco mentioned Mr Sowerby, the long term Headmaster of Greenhill Primary School who, I think, retired in the late 1960`s.

He was a near neighbour of mine in his retirement and always liked a chat, imparting many colourful stories about his experiences as a teacher, his holidays and his family. The fact that he was interesting and liked an attentive audience from a (at the time) much younger and willingly captive listener, was a testimonial to his teaching skills and undiminished talent for the interesting delivery of a subject. Should be more neighbours like him today!

the most influential teacher i had was miss atkins at waltheof

she always gave me the reality check when i needed it.

also mr lovatt from acres hill he left to go to manor lodge and he was great.

he told me that i would one day cut my own throat with my sharp tongue and he was right.

miss dixon from acres hill who told me i was a flibberty gibbet with a butterfly mind. she actually wrote this on my report.

That flibberty gibbert remark sounds like the comment Miss Hart (Tapton - 1967/68) wrote on my report, except that she called me a chameleon. I didn't know whether to be flattered or insulted. It was certainly rich coming from a woman who never made a positive impact on my school years or showed an interest in my development. If any teacher at Tapton made an impact, it had to be Miss Laver, who I had in the fourth year (1966/67). She didn't like talkers in class and didn't hesitate to use the cane (which I had twice), but she was one of the best teachers at that school and one of the few who actually got me to pay attention in class, rather than staring out of the window. She taught Religious Education and (I think) English, and I got some of the best marks I have ever had. The rest of the teachers were pretty mediocre.

I seem to remember a Mrs Whittington at Nether Green (1959-1964), who taught English. She was very strict, but she was a good teacher and it's thanks to her that English is one of my best subjects. There was also Miss Becket, who was very kind when we lost my brother - she sent a nice letter of sympathy to my parents, even though I had started at Tapton by then.

Edited by earthdragon

I have noticed that too. I do remember Mrs. Chester-Jones but not as clearly as you do.

I was at City Grammar from the late fifties into the early sixties.

Mr. Harvatt was the Headmaster then.

Some of the teachers I recall are Mr. MacPherson, Miss Thorold, Mr. Parsons,

Mr. Hum & Mr. Fuller.

There is an alumni website called Omnes Amici, with photos etc.

Mrs. Chester Jones was married to Prof. Ian Chester Jones, Head of the Zoology department at Sheff Univ., where I studied. He was a guy who commanded respect and deservedly so. I met Mrs. C Jones at social occasions hosted by "Prof," which is how we all referred to her husband.

• 3 months later...
De La Salle, Scott Road.

Hugh Finnegan (Music) - who moved on to All Saints when DLS got flattened!

Tom Boulding (English) - now landlord of Fagan's on Broad Lane.

Maurice "Jack" Justice (Geography)

Brother Wilfrid (Maths)

I remember (and have a high regard for) the teachers you mention (as well as Brother Maximus, who is nominated by another poster on this thread), though I don't remember Brother Wilfrid, as head teacher, taking classes himself.

For me, the best teachers at DLS were Mr Hopkins (chemistry), Mr Boulding (English), Brother Anthony (Physics) and Mr Hutchinson (Physics and Maths) -- but I liked and had high regard for most of the teachers who taught me there.