Coalition government's trust in doctors

The perfect example of poor policy, a lack of joined-up policy between departments.

It seems that doctors are best placed to run the NHS according to the Tories. This view is a cornerstone of the reforms. Doctors know the patients best after all and know what they need.

At the same time it also seems that doctors are not capable of deciding when somebody is fit for work, hence the continued and increased use of Atos by the government.

How can these doctors who are allegedly mistakenly assessing people as unfit to work on a vast scale but be trusted with tens of billions of pounds of NHS funds?

Different medical professionals are responsible for different things you know.

Maybe the NHS doctors are just a bit too busy to spend all day listening to whiny scroungers bleating on about how they can't work?

They are not all connected. What on earth makes you think they were.

Or, more likley, its just another one of your poor excuses for a tory bashing thread.

For certain jobs I've had in the past I had to pass an annual medical, checking I was fit enough.

I can't imagine a situation other than this thing for disability benefit and work where somebody goes to a doctor and a "pass" to them means they're not fit to work.

The perfect example of poor policy, a lack of joined-up policy between departments.

It seems that doctors are best placed to run the NHS according to the Tories. This view is a cornerstone of the reforms. Doctors know the patients best after all and know what they need.

At the same time it also seems that doctors are not capable of deciding when somebody is fit for work, hence the continued and increased use of Atos by the government.

How can these doctors who are allegedly mistakenly assessing people as unfit to work on a vast scale but be trusted with tens of billions of pounds of NHS funds?

Typical of the present day Government. No common cohesion between policies, policies sometimes created by the Corporates who choose to benefit most from them or worse still, bought by them.

Its a travesty.

It seems that doctors are best placed to run the NHS according to the Tories...

Doctors were never the best people to run the NHS! - Not under the tories or under labour.

'Managers' are the best people to manage things.

I have a ridiculously high IQ - I can't help it, I was born that way.

I also have a number of degrees (including an MBA)

I met a doctor (some years ago) who had been told he needed to get an MBA. I asked him 'why?' and he said 'My employer, the NHS , requires me to be a 'manager'.

That really upset me. Each to his own. I was born with(?) with a 'silly' high IQ. I made my own way in life (and probably screwed up a bit, too. ;) ) This doctor [my colleague] was a brilliant neurosurgeon but his bosses thought he should learn how to be a manager.

Why? - He's an accomplished neurosurgeon?

"Well, if we use him as an accountant that will save money on accountants."

Bean counters are far more important than neurosurgeons.

Aren't they?

Archived