What has happened to Lions Lair?

Tyranna

A few weeks ago I heard from a friend that they had found that the popular venue of Lions Lair had been closed when they went out to have a drink there, at the times they were normally open. I have since heard rumors of change of management, or 'they have closed', and that the Student LGBT group which used to meet there every Tuesday cannot any more because they are shut on Tuesdays, etc., but want to find out for sure what has happened.

Shortly after hearing about all this, I went round to see the venue one evening and found that it was indeed shut, with the original sign removed and that much of the frontage of the place had been repainted with black paint, and that the ground floor windows had drawn curtains behind, so one couldn't see inside. However, the other weekend, I passed the place late one night, and it was open with a large queue outside, so it clearly is still hosting some kind of events or holding some kind of opening hours.

Does anyone know what the current situation is with Lions Lair? Has it indeed changed management? Is it still a LGBT-Friendly bar? What are its current opening hours?

With Sheffield's Gay scene in its current moribund state, with even that in Chesterfield (where I do regular drag entertainment) streets ahead, Sheffield needs every openly LGBT-Friendly pub/club it can get, and Lion's Lair has been one, which while it has been not openly 'gay' (more metrosexual really), it has been a clean, modern venue with very clean toilets, a proper smoking-garden (which neither Demps' or Affinity have), and top DJ's, and it has also been a favourite for many LGBT people, such as our mens' group Sound Out, the Student LGBT Group and others.

Any news about the situation regarding the Lions lair would be welcomed, if they can post their current opening hours here (if they are still open) that would also be a great help to all!:help:

As Oscar the Cat says, after asking around, I have now been told that there have been management changes and that Lions Lair is now open again on Tuesday nights for the Student LGBT night once again, and also it is open on Fridays and Saturdays until 6am. Other nights it appears to still be shut, but hopefully we will be updated on this one as things happen...

Lions Liar was a Marston pub I know the last tenents brought it off them then did it up though I hate the all black painted look. Not surpised its changed hands again theres no money in the pub trade very hard to make a living out of it now. I dont know how Affinity stay open seems a little used pub and Club Xcess is now history. I dont think Sheffield will have a scene like Manchester or relive its heyday down Attercliffe.

Lions Liar was a Marston pub I know the last tenents brought it off them then did it up though I hate the all black painted look. Not surpised its changed hands again theres no money in the pub trade very hard to make a living out of it now. I dont know how Affinity stay open seems a little used pub and Club Xcess is now history. I dont think Sheffield will have a scene like Manchester or relive its heyday down Attercliffe.

It was punch taverns.

• 2 weeks later...
I hate the all black painted look. I dont think Sheffield will have a scene like Manchester or relive its heyday down Attercliffe.

I think its a shame that the L.L. has been painted all black like that; it may be economical, but it doesent suit the building at all; please consider going back to the blacK/white 'half-timber' look.

I've given up on the Sheffield Scene going anywhere; in fact I'm looking to moving either seasonally or completely to the Spanish resorts to entertain the holiday crowds...

Archived