John Elsworth & Son Sawmakers Hillsborough?

PopT

I'm currently processing some family pictures taken in Hillsborough 1914 to 1930.

Amongst them are pictures of Saw products produced by John Elsworth and Company of Hillsborough.

One of the family is holding one of the saws and I do know the family lived in Hillsborough and were sawmakers.

Does anyone know where the John Elsworth & Sons Saw Works was in Hillsborough?

I've looked in one director and them in Leadmill Road but not in Hillsborough.

Happy Days! PopT

1905, 1911 & 1925.

Elsworth John & Sons Limited (amalgamated firms of John

Elsworth & Sons & George & Thomas Gray), saw & machine knife manufacturers (Australian works) Malinda Street.

Elsworth John & Sons Ltd. saw manufacturers, 41 & 43 Roscoe Road.

(1925).

Suppose the could have moved after 1925 ?

In the 1942 Kelly’s Directory, the alphabetical section shows "John Elsworth & Sons (Sheffield) Limited" at "Australian Works, Malinda Street" (as me-and-pippo mentioned as per the 1925 directory) and also at "Langsett Works, Langsett Road". The latter works was between Nos. 37 and 51 Langsett Road, which was more-or-less opposite Balaclava Road. By 1953 the firm had moved to Herries Road South - the 1954 directory makes no mention of the Langsett Works and shows "Elsworth Ltd., saw & machine knife manufacturers" on Herries Road South (they were the only firm on the north side of that road). The Herries Road South works is still shown in the last Kelly’s Directory, compiled in 1973.

Hillsbro, Thanks for that info.

The family membbers who worked therre lived in Oakland road and Hunter Road, Hillsbro.

The back of the original photos of the works and the saws displaued were written up as John Elsworth & Sons, Hillsbro and so I now know where the works were situated.

The family were originally sawmakers in Ecclesfield until they closed their business.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Happy Days! PopT

• 2 months later...

Elsworth's LTD closed its doors in 1990, the employees that where left including myself was moved to J Ferneoughs in Darnall. The building that still stands now was never completed it was meant to run right the way down to C J Carlisles fabrication,(now Beres pork factory). The part that never was would have been a rolling mill and hot works, C J Carlisles was meant to be the Elsworth's canteen. I worked there as a grinder from 1978 to 1990 we made Tungsten carbide & High speed steel tipped circular saws and machine knives for the woodworking trade,the brand name was Black Diamond, Elsworth's also made Band saws.

Archived