Sheffielders who fought in the Spanish Civil War

iron sky

In the Peace Gardens there is a memorial to Sheffield men who went to fight in the Spanish Civil War. Is there any books on this subject? Did any of your family travel to Spain to fight for Republican side or for General Franco in this war? Sheffield has far as I know is the only city to put up a memorial for British people who went to Spain as at the time of the war it was illegal to serve either side.

In the Peace Gardens there is a memorial to Sheffield men who went to fight in the Spanish Civil War. Is there any books on this subject? Did any of your family travel to Spain to fight for Republican side or for General Franco in this war? Sheffield has far as I know is the only city to put up a memorial for British people who went to Spain as at the time of the war it was illegal to serve either side.

Lets hope that those lads who are on the memorial in the Piece Gardens are remembered this year on Armistice Day as they have been ignored in the past .

It is only a short walk from Barkers Pool to do these lads[ who were the first to fight against fascism] proud.

When I first started working for Fletchers Bakeries in the 70s we had an old Spanish guy who washed all the wholesale vans every day.I was told he was a refugee from Spain who had fought on the losing side and would have been shot if he ever went back,at this time Franco was still living!.This reply is not what the op was asking but I thought it was of interest!.:cool:

When I first started working for Fletchers Bakeries in the 70s we had an old Spanish guy who washed all the wholesale vans every day.I was told he was a refugee from Spain who had fought on the losing side and would have been shot if he ever went back,at this time Franco was still living!.This reply is not what the op was asking but I thought it was of interest!.:cool:

All information is welcome here. Im glad you shared it with us. Your Spanish friend was quite right to fear Franco anyone who frought for the Spanish Republic was an target if they returned to there homeland. Franco was still hurting down men right up to his death in November 1975. Franco was not a forgiving soul.

• 4 weeks later...

Both fascism and communism were severe and heavily based on the hero worship of a dictator: Mussolini, Stalin, Tito, Franco, Mao, Hitler etc. (the last was not a fascist, despite this being often said.) Musso was the first European leader to recognise the Soviet Union in 1917 and as late as 1939 said that Stalin had 'modified' Bolshevism into Slavic fascism. Both ideologies were guilty of terror, and the Guiness Book of Records ( 'Human World' section) states that, during the war, Stalin told Churchill that he had 'liquidated' 12 million of his own people (one Allied leader admitting genocide to another ) and puts Mao's death list at some 30 million Hopefully such totalitarian sytems are in the dustbin of history, and let's not forget that some Democracies also have much to answer for.

Archived