Who buys $900 shoes??

On 05/10/2012 at 23:30, sibon said:

A better question would be "Who makes $900 shoes". They are the ones to be jealous of.

I'm just glad that folks do buy things like that. Expensive shoes, furniture and foodstuffs are generally made by highly skilled people. It is good to see them getting rewarded.

Do you really think the makers get paid the $900 ?

They often get next to nothing. The profit goes to the owner of the company, not the workers. 

Take a well known maker of designer handbags which sell for several thousands of pounds each. She has them made abroad where the labour is cheap, Because the labour is cheap. She pockets the profit to fund her lavish lifestyle, and doesn't go anywhere near the workers.

And if you put the expensive handbag at the side of a cheaper one, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. 

Guest sibon
6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

They often get next to nothing. The profit goes to the owner of the company, not the workers. 

Take a well known maker of designer handbags which sell for several thousands of pounds each. She has them made abroad where the labour is cheap, Because the labour is cheap. She pockets the profit to fund her lavish lifestyle, and doesn't go anywhere near the workers.

And if you put the expensive handbag at the side of a cheaper one, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. 

Did you notice that the post you’ve replied to is a decade old?

Or that I qualified it by saying that things made by craftsmen/women are worth paying for.

They are you know. Well made, beautiful things made by skilled people are well worth paying for.  It is good for the economy too.

But thanks for all the unrelated nonsense that you posted.

Edited by sibon

6 minutes ago, sibon said:

Did you notice that the post you’ve replied to is a decade old?

Or that I qualified it by saying that things made by craftsmen/women are worth paying for.

They are you know. Well made, beautiful things made by skilled people are well worth paying for.  It is good for the economy too.

But thanks for all the unrelated nonsense that you posted.

Sorry, no, I didn't notice. But the question remains just as relevant today as it was 10 years ago, if not more so, and my reply still stands. Her products are made in Africa where the workers are paid miniscule wages compared to elsewhere. I fail to see why she can't have them made by skilled workpeople here, except of course that it would cost more. We're in a race o the bottom.

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Don’t you like lavish lifestyles? She can only fund one after she’s paid some of those ‘several thousands of pounds’ to the exchequer. If it wasn’t for her enterprise the same money might have gone abroad, spent on foreign luxury goods, and the workers who make her handbags might go hungry.

2 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Don’t you like lavish lifestyles? She can only fund one after she’s paid some of those ‘several thousands of pounds’ to the exchequer. If it wasn’t for her enterprise the same money might have gone abroad, spent on foreign luxury goods, and the workers who make her handbags might go hungry.

I have no idea if she pays the correct amount of tax, if she does, fine, but the majority of business people employ accountants looking for loopholes to exploit to ensure their clients pay the minimum they can get away with.

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

I have no idea if she pays the correct amount of tax, if she does, fine, but the majority of business people employ accountants looking for loopholes to exploit to ensure their clients pay the minimum they can get away with.

Well maybe she should just pack it in, go on the dole and draw taxpayers’ money rather than supply it, and make such as you happy because she isn’t exploiting any workers in a far off land.

12 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

There was no link in their comment.

They come back and edit one in, or they add a link to the signature.  The actual comments are often cut and pasted from elsewhere too, or from someone else's post further up a thread, and they're usually posted on many different forums all over the place.

The mod likely agreed with whoever reported the post that they looked like a spammer and quacked like a spammer from those superficial indications, or the IP address gave them away.  Probably both.