Strictly - Want to learn to dance?

It's Strictly time again, and you want to learn to dance like that, don't you? But what if you think you have two left feet, or can't persuade your other half - if you've got one - to join you?

You need a dance style that is very easy to learn, can be danced to any sort of music, and you don't need to bring a partner. You need Modern Jive.

It’s much less frantic than the ballroom jive on Strictly. Imagine the moves slowed down so that they can be danced at any speed. Add in fun moves from other Latin and Ballroom styles. Best of all, most moves do not require precise footwork in a prescribed pattern, which is what makes most styles hard to learn.

Look for Modern Jive on YouTube. Don’t be discouraged by scary lifts and drops – they are only for advanced dancers. Most jivers don’t do them.

It is a partner dance but you don’t need to bring a partner. You move around regularly during the lessons, dancing with both experienced dancers and newcomers. In freestyle most people change partners with every track, so there is always someone to dance with. You quickly get to know people so you are comfortable asking them to dance. (Yes, ladies ask the men as well as men asking ladies!)

It’s great for fitness too – how many people do you know who go to the gym and actually exercise for three hours at a time? At jive, you are up on the floor dancing most of the evening.

Even people who think they can’t dance find Modern Jive easier than they expected. Many move on to more formal styles – tango is the most popular – with the confidence, improved coordination, and musicality that jiving has given them.

There are two big Modern Jive groups in Sheffield. Blitz has the biggest Sheffield evenings, every Wednesday and Thursday night at Crookes Social Club. Ceroc has Tuesdays at the Davy Club. I recommend Blitz: more dancers means more choice, but I’m a Ceroc member too.

The beginners’ lesson starts at about 7.40. Don’t miss the start of your first lesson or you’ll be floundering! Then comes half an hour’s freestyle, an intermediate lesson (when the beginners’ lesson is repeated in a side-room), then more freestyle dancing till 10.30.

All for about the cost of a one-hour lesson at most dance schools (£7.00), and the drinks are at social club prices. You can have a good night out for a tenner. You spend your time dancing rather than sitting around drinking.

See you on the dance floor!

Edited by Jive Knight
typo

• 4 months later...

We are 3 final year event management students at Sheffield Hallam, as part of our final year module we are required to host a fundraising event.

The charity chosen to raise money for is Artfelt - Artfelt transforms the wards of Sheffield's Children's Hospital and also organises workshops for the children to take part in.

We are organising an international talent show on 18th March 6.30pm at the Common Room and would love if members of your society would be interested in giving a 5-10 minute performance?

We feel that having a dance group will add a great atmosphere to the event and we also would like a wide range of talent to showcase. It would be great if your society wishes to be involved/

Let me know if anybody would like to take part as soon as you can.

My email address is a9021467@my.shu.ac.uk

Kind regards,

Lyndsey

• 2 years later...