Anyone had car problems after using supermarket fuel?

Just checking. Even so I don't believe it would cause your car to stall all the time unless there are other issues.

I've not had any other problem for a long while so it'd be a massive coincidence. It happened within an hour of putting the fuel in. Since I've diluted with the v-power it's been ok. It's not cutting out any more. Can't think of any explanation other than the crappy petrol. :?

This dates back to 2009 but worth a read.

"All UK fuel must meet British and European standards - EN228 for unleaded and for diesel EN590 - which could explain similarities between brands. Retailers can add a cocktail of additives to boost performance, however.

Most suppliers also use the same depots to source their fuel. Morrisons said its unleaded was not exclusive to the chain and was bought from depots near to its 291 stores. Asda confirmed it used the same supplies as other chains, while BP told us it only sells its own fuels, but it did not have exclusive use of the refineries."

Read the whole page at

http://www.carpages.co.uk/motoring-news/fuel-performance-07-01-10.asp

I read that their fuel has a higher blend of biodiesel than other retailers.

That's what puts me off using supermarket fuel. When the cars manual says not to use more than 5% biodiesel and the supermarket pumps say they use up to 10% I figure it's probably not going to do the car any favours long term.

I've not had any other problem for a long while so it'd be a massive coincidence. It happened within an hour of putting the fuel in. Since I've diluted with the v-power it's been ok. It's not cutting out any more. Can't think of any explanation other than the crappy petrol. :?

The problem is probably more likely to be with your car and the high octane fuel is masking it.

No normal car should cut out running on normal 95 RON fuel.

V Power is only really needed for performance engines anyway.

The problem is probably more likely to be with your car and the high octane fuel is masking it.

No normal car should cut out running on normal 95 RON fuel.

V Power is only really needed for performance engines anyway.

This is what I was trying to get at :) Although it was supermarket super unleaded so not even 95RON. Still, it shouldn't cause it to cut out or it would likely affect every other car using it in the same way if there was something very wrong with the petrol.

Archived