Anyone had car problems after using supermarket fuel?

Which one of those is in your back garden? .

Cruachan as it happened used to be under my back garden :-) In the event of a black start I'd be among the first to get energised - the row of cottages we were in were fed off the hotel power for the station...

As for storing it I do have about fifteen hours of battery capacity at home on UPS unless I switch on the heating. But we digress too far I feel....

Regarding the petrol stations though, surely these have sediment and water traps in the delivery systems? I certainly seem to recall these getting changed when I was an impecunious student jockying the pumps on Shalesmoor. Of course there is no guarantee those filters are maintained adequantly.... I always preferred diesel from a high turnover station as there is less chance for microbial growth than in a more stagnant quieter place

I have absolutely no idea, I never went to Buncefield as it wasn't within my area of responsibility, (and it's a bit late now!), so I'm just going off of what colleagues tell me.

There is no equivalent for petrochemicals. It would have to be pressurised to something in excess of 100 Bar to get any flow, effectively turning it into a 1000 mile long, 48” bomb.

How does that differ from the gas National Grid? Genuine question..

I have absolutely no idea, I never went to Buncefield as it wasn't within my area of responsibility, (and it's a bit late now!), so I'm just going off of what colleagues tell me.

You categorically said it was supplied by rail. You've been caught talking claptrap - sadly you happened by someone who actually has been on the Buncefield site a fair number of times. Similarly with your mad assertion that pressurised fuel distrubution pipelines don't exist.

How does that differ from the gas National Grid? Genuine question..

Because it’s much easier to compress a gas than a fluid. By compressing the gas you can keep the pipeline full and hence excluded air, thus negating the explosion risk.

With fluid it is much harder to do over a multi-branch network.

Even with gas, the compressors require are huge……………at one gas transfer station they use eight Rolls Royce RB211 jet engines!

• 1 year later...

Anyone had any problems with diesel from Morrisons at Ecclesfield this week? I filled up as usual on Wednesday and my car keeps cutting out. Never had any problems before. I had my car at the dealers yesterday and they say the car is fine, it's the fuel. Morrisons say no one else has complained. Well they would say that wouldn't they!

Would trading standards test a sample of the fuel?

Not from your car i don't think because anything could have been in your tank before. They would be better off getting a sample from the same pump you used but again the Morrison's tanks could have been filled up since you were there. On other forums this debate has gone on for years some people like you have problems and you know it's the fuel,other people say it's impossible because all the fuel comes from 2 or 3 refineries. I'm with you i think supermarket fuel can be a problem at times.

Because it’s much easier to compress a gas than a fluid. By compressing the gas you can keep the pipeline full and hence excluded air, thus negating the explosion risk.

With fluid it is much harder to do over a multi-branch network.

Even with gas, the compressors require are huge……………at one gas transfer station they use eight Rolls Royce RB211 jet engines!

It is impossible, not harder to compress a liquid

---------- Post added 20-06-2014 at 08:06 ----------

Anyone had any problems with diesel from Morrisons at Ecclesfield this week? I filled up as usual on Wednesday and my car keeps cutting out. Never had any problems before. I had my car at the dealers yesterday and they say the car is fine, it's the fuel. Morrisons say no one else has complained. Well they would say that wouldn't they!

Would trading standards test a sample of the fuel?

I would love to know how the dealers test the fuel,do they have a lab on site or sub the job out.

Archived