Should kids be taught to speak properly?

I don't want to eradicate regional accent and dialect, since in most cases you would have to eradicate the people themselves for such a program to be successful. We don't have enough money to carry out something like that, what with the recession.

However, I do think we should put more pressure on schools to teach proper English. Tell the kids they're better off speaking properly, without the thees, thars and thoos. Perhaps give them a sweet and a pat on the head when they can talk for 5 minutes about what they did at the weekend without using any regional pronunciation and without using any silly Yorkshire words.

You are right of course!.............The Sheffield dee dah makes me cringe sometimes,although I could be a champ of it if need be,but basically it's a very idle dialect almost a pre-cursor to text speak which some would argue is economic.I just think it,s an excuse for lack of effort which seems to have taken over these days,

If you want to hear an accent that is still Sheffield but is understandable throughout the country...........listen to Sean Bean on TV doing advert voice-overs.

You are right of course!.............The Sheffield dee dah makes me cringe sometimes,although I could be a champ of it if need be,but basically it's a very idle dialect almost a pre-cursor to text speak which some would argue is economic.I just think it,s an excuse for lack of effort which seems to have taken over these days,

If you want to hear an accent that is still Sheffield but is understandable throughout the country...........listen to Sean Bean on TV doing advert voice-overs.

Yeah, then listen to Sean Bean down't pub. I bet he speaks like the rest of us then.

Everyone has an accent, even the posh toffs. There's no R in bath, is there?

Other than being a massive troll, epiphany is being quite rude by taking the pee out of the way Yorkshire folk speak.

Kids are taught to speak and write properly at school. Maybe they have taken the English language into there own hands because they find it boring and don't want to sound like posh tits when they speak?!? I don't know, I just know that I find it fascinating. I also find it amusing when it annoys people who think they speak perfectly.

There's actually something wrong with you, isn't there?!
Why - because I think kids shouldn't be disadvantaged by thinking poor vocabulary and course local slang will help them climb a professional career ladder?

When I moved to Sheffield ten years ago I had trouble understanding some of the slacker jawed yokels born and bred in and around the city.

I soon realised it wasn't their fault they couldn't speak properly, it was their parents' and their schools', assuming the parents and teachers also spoke like simpletons, which they likely did.

I discovered that children from around these parts were making the same indiscernible farmyard animal noises as the adults.

Isn't it about time we grew up and taught our kids to speak properly?

Basic examples

Say "take" instead of "tek"

Say "now then" (or even better - "greetings") instead of "naa theyan"

Say "what are you doing?" instead of "what's tha doin?"

Say "no" instead of "noorrrrrrr"

It's not difficult, yet we raise these poor, lost souls to sound like imbeciles.

Go back home why don't you.

Why - because I think kids shouldn't be disadvantaged by thinking poor vocabulary and course local slang will help them climb a professional career ladder?

Local slang, I have found makes no different to where you are in the career ladder, the highest boss we have is from Liverpool with a very Liverpudlian accent and usage of slang and dialect and clearly it has made no difference to his career and his weight within our own company.

While on the other hand I know people who talk with almost no dialect and a minimal accent and their career has stayed at the same basic bottom of the rung level for years.

Dialect, Slang, Accent or even language barriers; I have found that none of these have affected peoples advancement through our companies progress and many others.

Expecting people not to have an accent or a regional dialect is stupid and unrealistic as this would have to spread not just across the UK but also the US, Australia and literally every country. Every one's speech would be as bland as an undunked rich tea biscuit.

Archived