Should kids be taught to speak properly?

Local slang, I have found makes no different to where you are in the career ladder, the highest boss we have is from Liverpool with a very Liverpudlian accent and usage of slang and dialect and clearly it has made no difference to his career and his weight within our own company.

While on the other hand I know people who talk with almost no dialect and a minimal accent and their career has stayed at the same basic bottom of the rung level for years.

Dialect, Slang, Accent or even language barriers; I have found that none of these have affected peoples advancement through our companies progress and many others.

Expecting people not to have an accent or a regional dialect is stupid and unrealistic as this would have to spread not just across the UK but also the US, Australia and literally every country. Every one's speech would be as bland as an undunked rich tea biscuit.

..."Dialect, Slang, Accent or even language barriers; I have found that none of these have affected peoples advancement through our companies progress and many others."

Not heard of many Sheffield "Dee Dahs" running companies............mashing tea possibly...

..."Dialect, Slang, Accent or even language barriers; I have found that none of these have affected peoples advancement through our companies progress and many others."

Not heard of many Sheffield "Dee Dahs" running companies............mashing tea possibly...

Clearly you only read that part of my post and not any more of it. We have a Liverpudlian with a thick Liverpudlian accent and a habit of using slang that runs our company and, without saying who our company is, I can say it isn't a small company but a big name.

The man that runs our particular area of our company is from Sheffield and has a Sheffield accent with a Sheffield Dialect and he got there through determination and leadership skills not whether he says alreight instead of all right.

Clearly you only read that part of my post and not any more of it. We have a Liverpudlian with a thick Liverpudlian accent and a habit of using slang that runs our company and, without saying who our company is, I can say it isn't a small company but a big name.

The man that runs our particular area of our company is from Sheffield and has a Sheffield accent with a Sheffield Dialect and he got there through determination and leadership skills not whether he says alreight instead of all right.

......."Dialect, Slang, Accent or even language barriers; I have found that none of these have affected peoples advancement through our companies progress and many others................................." Mmmm!...........it would be interesting to know what positions in your company people hold who talk slang and have language barriers!

......."Dialect, Slang, Accent or even language barriers; I have found that none of these have affected peoples advancement through our companies progress and many others................................." Mmmm!...........it would be interesting to know what positions in your company people hold who talk slang and have language barriers!

Well (again as you have no read the original post) We have a Liverpudlian with a thick Liverpudlian accent and a habit of using slang that runs our company, you know as in runs it and owns it.

Before this man, we had a German running the company with one or 2 language barriers.

The person who runs our section of the company is a Sheffielder with a Sheffield accent.

Well (again as you have no read the original post) We have a Liverpudlian with a thick Liverpudlian accent and a habit of using slang that runs our company, you know as in runs it and owns it.

Before this man, we had a German running the company with one or 2 language barriers.

The person who runs our section of the company is a Sheffielder with a Sheffield accent.

...(again as you have no read the original post)..................................And do they have spelling difficulties also?

...(again as you have no read the original post)..................................And do they have spelling difficulties also?

I do apologise I seem to have forgotten a T.

On a similar note the extended dots are not necessary.

I do apologise I seem to have forgotten a T.

On a similar note the extended dots are not necessary.

Certainly not as much as the letter "T" ,However I accept the point you are making but we seem to have gone off beam here.

Standards should always try to be raised, but there seems to be an ever increasing lack of effort in English language skills,to the point where some of it seems almost incomprehensible!and I do think that speaking reasonably well taking into account a certain mix of regional inflections, will always command that little bit more respect in the many roles you play in your life!

My Dad, when his dander was up would say to me " Dint they learn thee nowt in that skoil o thine?" To which, putting on my best Nether Edge Grammar School accent, would reply " no Pater, they taught me. " before running for cover.

Archived