Chancellor Osborne tells Lib Dems where to go with their 'mansion tax'!

Good news - there's no need for another envy tax.

It's not a matter of envy.

People with 'Mansions' are generally very wealthy and that wealth needs to be re-distributed through the system.

There are people with millions in the bank and doing nothing with it, generating wealth only for themselves at the expense of people who need to borrow.

Good luck to people with a lot of money but there are people who could be paying millions in tax and may not be still paying their fare share.

That's what it's all about, paying your fare share.

It's not a matter of envy.

People with 'Mansions' are generally very wealthy and that wealth needs to be re-distributed through the system.

There are people with millions in the bank and doing nothing with it, generating wealth only for themselves at the expense of people who need to borrow.

Good luck to people with a lot of money but there are people who could be paying millions in tax and may not be still paying their fare share.

That's what it's all about, paying your fare share.

Can you define "fair"?

Gideon seems to be under the delusion that most homes in Britain are worth over £2million.

"It would be sold as a mansion tax, but once the tax inspector has been let in the door, we would soon find most homes in the country incur a mansion tax.

"It's not a mansion tax but a homes tax, and this party of homeowners will have no truck with it."

Which just shows how completely out of touch he is.

It may start off like that, give it a few years and everything but a cardboard box will incur a home tax.

Good news - there's no need for another envy tax.

I'm not convinced about the mansion tax mainly because it's just a convenient clarion call for troubled LibDems.

But isn't it that the baby boomer generation (of which I am one, just about) and older generations have disproportionately benefited from economic conditions to the detriment of younger genrations? If so then maybe there is a good case for some inter-generational redistribution of wealth?

I wouldn't want to be a youngster now with limited job prospects, high uni fees, generally high prices, high rents, mortgages unavailable etc... It seems to me that older generations are hoarding wealth and it needs to be gradually prised away from them so the economy can be rebalanced to benefit the young who after all are our next generations of potential wealth creators.

I'm not convinced about the mansion tax mainly because it's just a convenient clarion call for troubled LibDems.

But isn't it that the baby boomer generation (of which I am one, just about) and older generations have disproportionately benefited from economic conditions to the detriment of younger genrations? If so then maybe there is a good case for some inter-generational redistribution of wealth?

I wouldn't want to be a youngster now with limited job prospects, high uni fees, generally high prices, high rents, mortgages unavailable etc... It seems to me that older generations are hoarding wealth and it needs to be gradually prised away from them so the economy can be rebalanced to benefit the young who after all are our next generations of potential wealth creators.

They do redistribute it by helping their children buy a house or helping them to pay uni fees, or allowing them to stay at home rent free for longer to give them a chance to save a deposit.

But wasn't it only going to apply to properties valued at £2M, surely these people can afford to pay a bit more in these straitened times. Most of these houses will be in the south east and many will belong to the bankers who caused the credit crunch in the first place, maybe the Lib Dems should try to get Gideon to launch a Bankers tax instead?

I thought Tony Blair had quite a few, but there again I always thought he caused the credit crunch anyhow.

They do redistribute it by helping their children buy a house or helping them to pay uni fees, or allowing them to stay at home rent free for longer to give them a chance to save a deposit.

Not all do. But even though this happens to a limited extent the benefits for society as a whole are highly questionable and worse still it is not a process guaranteed to continue or be stable over time.

There is doubtless more than enough idle capital tied up with older generations to finance social programs that could break the benefits dependency cycle. And there you have it, it's one thing for older people to complain about the spend on benefits and another thing altogether for them to realise that they are potentially the key to solution. Nobody would be asking the older generations to impoverish themselves by submitting to fairer taxes

I thought Tony Blair had quite a few, but there again I always thought he caused the credit crunch anyhow.

He seems to have done alright out of it. Maybe if it became possible that fairer taxes might hammer the Blairs for millions in tax every year they might like the idea a bit better ;)

He seems to have done alright out of it. Maybe if it became possible that fairer taxes might hammer the Blairs for millions in tax every year they might like the idea a bit better ;)

Well Ed Milibands family home (as opposed to the others) is worth around £2 million and Ed Balls brother owns a place in Kennsington valued at £8 million.

Well Ed Milibands family home (as opposed to the others) is worth around £2 million and Ed Balls brother owns a place in Kennsington valued at £8 million.

I'd be delighted to see them part with some of that wealth.

Archived