Pub Hours

The licensing law reform is to make the system a little more flexible so pubs can apply for a licence to open hours appropriate to it's business and customer demand.

For example a City Centre pub might want to open until midnight on a Friday and Saturday night to cater for those who want to be out later, but want to be somewhere relaxed with good beer, not stood rammed in a crowd drinking rubbish beer with loud music. Or you might have a pub that can't justify opening late but does good food trade, which might want to open early to do breakfasts. Or a pub located in an area with lots of shift workers who want to go in a normal pub after work at silly o clock in the morning. Live music bars who may want to open an hour longer so the band doesn't have to stop abruptly at 11pm.

I could think of many more examples put I'm sure you get the idea - it isn't a charter for 24 hour drinking sessions, just simply a more common sense approach than applying an arbitury time to all pubs regardless of what customers want.

Also as responsibility for issuing licenses will move from the courts to the council it means when deciding hours the area can be taken into account, so for example a local pub built into a row of cottages isn't open until 2 in the morning keeping the neighbours awake! And of course new pub openings will not conflict with the city plan......(I would hope).

Originally posted by Classic Rock

I cannot see pubs generally staying open all hours - most people work traditional daytime hours and wouldn't wish to party all night in a pub.

People used to say similar things about 24hr supermarkets.

I would welcome 24 hour drinking and believe that it should be brought in a soon as possible.

It doesn't mean you have to drink around the clock, does it? Nor does it mean that a pub has to stay open 24 hours per day.

Pubs could tailor their opening hours to suit the needs of their clientele.

Simple.

Originally posted by Andy C

Live music bars who may want to open an hour longer so the band doesn't have to stop abruptly at 11pm.

Also as responsibility for issuing licenses will move from the courts to the council it means when deciding hours the area can be taken into account, so for example a local pub built into a row of cottages isn't open until 2 in the morning keeping the neighbours awake! And of course new pub openings will not conflict with the city plan......(I would hope).

the entertainments licence usually states that performances finish at 11 anyway if the pub is in a residetial area, no matter what time it closes.

the problem as i see it with passing the licencing to the council,is that as much as we would like to think it wont happen,vested interests are going to be involved in the granting/renewal of licences.

a nice little pub in ecclesfield (The Griffin) has been shut down recently and tho its up for sale,the likelyhood of a licence being granted are virtually nil. not because there were street fights outside it or brawls inside,or that the landlord flouted the after burn rules.

the reasons given are that two ladies living in a flat next door said it was too noisey(this from a pub that was hardly packed to the rafters) and even if the new owners pay for soundproofing it is unlikely the council will grant a licence as basically the parish council dont want it there(along with these two ladies)

the sad part of this story is that the griffin has been there for hundreds of years,its part of the heritage of ecclesfield and its now gone. granting/ refusing licences could now be a vote winner for certain areas of the city now the council has responsibility for it instead of the independant magistrates bench

I think pubs should be allowed to open and close whenever the landlord wants in an effort to balance his working hours with the needs of the regular clientelle. There are bars in downtown Manhatten (where a lot of people work and almost noone lives) that keep very strange hours indeed.

Equally, I'd like to go into a 24 hour supermarket at 3am and buy a few bottles of beer.

Originally posted by gizmo

A nice little pub in ecclesfield (The Griffin) has been shut down recently and tho its up for sale, the likelyhood of a licence being granted are virtually nil. Not because there were street fights outside it or brawls inside, or that the landlord flouted the after burn rules.

Those were the days

There were times when The Griffin was so popular it was impossible to get in.

The licensing law reform is to make the system a little more flexible so pubs can apply for a licence to open hours appropriate to it's business and customer demand.

Unfortunately, I think that it will inevitably mean that pubs will end up being pressured into longer hours together with the associated overheads without the prospect of selling a single extra pint.

I believe that the upshot will be a new round of pubs going out of business.

This is already the case under the current system. Any (new) pub / bar / restaurant has to receive planning consent from the local council before it can apply for a licence. The trouble with the council issuing licences is that they won’t be able to resist playing petty politics with the system.

Archived