Blood Pressure medication- pay monthly?

Hello!

Can anyone tell me if you pay for your blood pressure medication every month. My perscription is for every 28 days as I was trying out the medication to see if it was compatiable. However I went to see the doctor a few weeks back and my blood pressure seems to be settled now. The doctor has told me I don't need to see him for another year as he is happy with the readings.

However my repeat perscription still are for every 28 days. Can you get the doctor to give you more or do you have to pay every 28 days?

Thanks in advance!

Laura x

I don't think they will issue meds for any more then 28 days in advance. Is it just one item every 28 days or are there several? If it's just one item, then you're probably best just paying for that, as and when. If it's several items, then pre-pay is prob the best route to go.

You'll have to pay every 28 days as far as I know - I too have the same problem and have been paying for a couple of years.

I get a three month pre-payment now as I can get 4 prescriptions from that which saves me a princely £1 or so. However, if I need anything else in that period, then that's free :)

If you're on stable medication every month you can have a batch prescription, which entails your GP issuing 12 prescriptions at a time which you leave at the pharmacy and then just go once a month to collect your prescriptions, but even with that you will be paying every month for a prescription item.

If you have more than one item a month then it's worth getting a prescription prepayment card, but it's not worth it for a single item.

If your medication consists of more than one item, I would consider a prescription prepayment certificate (PPC), it should work out cheaper and you have an option of 3 monthly or annually.

Outlets such as Boots allow you to re-order when you collect them and they don't need you to get a prescription from your doctors every 28 days, they do that for you, until you have a review.

Check out the PPC online:

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/PPC.aspx

I have a PPC & used to get my 17 items every 28 days, then my nice doctor suggested that he makes my prescriptions 56 days at a time. This means that I only go once every 2 months for my medication, its less hassle for me in long run.

But the downside is it's a big bag of medicine lol that I have to collect.

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately I have just the one tablet a day so it won't save me any money getting the certificate. Thanks for all the replies though. X

Go to Lloyds and ask them, as you've been told you only have to have it reviewed in a year's time, if they will renew it for you, and have it ready, and create one for 56 days, rather than 28.

Archived