Slaughter of first-borns could save £50bn in Child Benefit, pledges Cameron

This is where it is going wrong for the chancellor.
No wronger or righter than before, as...

'Where is the fairness, we ask, for the shift-worker, leaving home in the dark hours of the early morning, who looks up at the closed blinds of their next door neighbour sleeping off a life on benefits? When we say we're all in this together, we speak for that worker. We speak for all those who want to work hard and get on.'
...that's just the usual, this-conference-time-of-year, divisive piece - which is not the topic of this thread, is it?

There is nothing inherently wrong with proposing to curtail certain benefits, which demonstrably engage some recipients into a vicious circle of state subsidy dependancy (breed more = get more, breed some more = get still more, rinse-repeat, with ever-diminishing returns for the kids-for-cash).

Call it social reverse-engineering, as it's effectively returning 'society' to statu quo ante (don't breed them if you can't feed them)...with which there was nothing wrong (IMHO).

No wronger or righter than before, as...

...that's just the usual, this-conference-time-of-year, divisive piece - which is not the topic of this thread, is it?

There is nothing inherently wrong with proposing to curtail certain benefits, which demonstrably engage some recipients into a vicious circle of state subsidy dependancy (breed more = get more, breed some more = get still more, rinse-repeat, with ever-diminishing returns for the kids-for-cash).

Call it social reverse-engineering, as it's effectively returning 'society' to statu quo ante (don't breed them if you can't feed them)...with which there was nothing wrong (IMHO).

Nobody would disagree that certain groups need to be helped more than others.

But while we are talking about getting rid of this cycle of dependency what exactly is Osborne doing to break it? I mean what is he really doing rather than talking? Explain.

But while we are talking about getting rid of this cycle of dependency what exactly is Osborne doing to break it? I mean what is he really doing rather than talking? Explain.

Making a life on benefits less attractive.

Making a life on benefits less attractive.

Remember that for many people they have no option but to be on benefits, some long-term and some long-term. For the others I doubt it's the lifestyle that is attractive but more the lack of other rational options. It would be better if the chancellor had been pushing the idea of creating other options rather than using the language of the playground to demonise sections of society.

There's little point in creating options if people have the choice not to take the option. Capping benefits won't stop the "professional" claimers,and people with valid reasons to be on benefits or those trying to get off benefits won't be the once popping kids out,so it won't affect them

There's little point in creating options if people have the choice not to take the option. Capping benefits won't stop the "professional" claimers,and people with valid reasons to be on benefits or those trying to get off benefits won't be the once popping kids out,so it won't affect them

It depends whether you buy into the idea that most claimants are scroungers and whether you believe that most people when given a better option would refuse to take it.

I would rather see us focus on making a better range of options rather than making the option that already sees millions of people living in crushing poverty even worse worse for them without providing alternatives.

It depends whether you buy into the idea that most claimants are scroungers and whether you believe that most people when given a better option would refuse to take it.

I would rather see us focus on making a better range of options rather than making the option that already sees millions of people living in crushing poverty even worse worse for them without providing alternatives.

I don't buy into it - i'm intelligent enough to know that some people elect to be unemployed and have no ambition to work, they also know the state will support them procreating.

Some of these people aren't in poverty - i probably have as little disposable income than they do but i don't have more kids 'cos i cant afford them based on my salary cap,the same should be true for the unemployed. Support is fair and just, endless top ups aren't imho.

but what if, at the point you breed them you can feed them and then a few years later you lose your job or your hours get cut and can no longer feed them?

but what if, at the point you breed them you can feed them and then a few years later you lose your job or your hours get cut and can no longer feed them?

That isn't the point of the capping - the cap is to limit the resources of those out of work. The ones who get allegedly a "payrise" when they have kids whilst unemployed.

Archived