Would you sell your employment rights for shares?

My OH works for a company, it's a family business and the owners work long and hard. She's been there a year and joined a team of girls. Over time she's noticed that they do the bare minimum - if they come in before 8.30 they sit and chat until the clock strikes 8.30 then they turn on their PC. They whine and bitch about their jobs and take the mick by sneaking off early Fridays if the boss is out.

My OH hasn't done anything spectacular, just had pride in her work, had the foresight to relay her emails to her phone when she's out of the office, and has just been offered a promotion and profit linked bonus to her salary.

And as you can guess, the girls who have been there longer are questioning why they've been ignored, and are being bitchy by not speaking to her or making her a drink.

A few weeks ago a few Tories published an article about the British worker being lazy, and I can see where they're coming from with examples like that.

• 8 months later...
My OH works for a company, it's a family business and the owners work long and hard. She's been there a year and joined a team of girls. Over time she's noticed that they do the bare minimum - if they come in before 8.30 they sit and chat until the clock strikes 8.30 then they turn on their PC. They whine and bitch about their jobs and take the mick by sneaking off early Fridays if the boss is out.

My OH hasn't done anything spectacular, just had pride in her work, had the foresight to relay her emails to her phone when she's out of the office, and has just been offered a promotion and profit linked bonus to her salary.

And as you can guess, the girls who have been there longer are questioning why they've been ignored, and are being bitchy by not speaking to her or making her a drink.

A few weeks ago a few Tories published an article about the British worker being lazy, and I can see where they're coming from with examples like that.

Shhhh you can't say that! All workers are hard working and all business owners are lazy evil theives !!! Stick to the script!

Is this the same sort of scheme promoted and implemented by John Lewis, poster-boy employer to many a poster on here and elsewhere? ;)

No it's nothing like it. According to the peer Lady Warnock, the Chairman of John Lewis, Charles Mayfield slammed the government's 'shares for rights' scheme as 'laughable'.

As far as I'm aware employees who work at John Lewis are regarded as 'partners' in the business. They do not have to sign away their employment rights.

No it's nothing like it. According to the peer Lady Warnock, the Chairman of John Lewis, Charles Mayfield slammed the government's 'shares for rights' scheme as 'laughable'.

As far as I'm aware employees who work at John Lewis are regarded as 'partners' in the business. They do not have to sign away their employment rights.

A partner is an 'employee-owner' of sorts (in that, as a partner, he/she is also an 'employer-owner').

Who may not sign away their employment rights, for sure.

But who is also personally liable for the company's acts and debts. Without limitation (unless JL is an LLP, but I don't think it is).

(That means, let's say JL goes to the wall in a big way, the partner employees' assets may be repossessed and sold to pay JL's creditors, if it came to that).

I'd sooner have shares than be a partner...#justsayin' ;)

Archived