Would you sell your employment rights for shares?

I don't have any employment rights, my contract is a complete joke.

I think this line sums it up best -

It is expressly understood that your employment with the company is “at will” and may be terminated at any time and for any reason, with or without just cause, either by yourself or by the company.

There's another clause that says I have to pay the company's legal expenses if I ever take them to court. Having said that I've been working under this contract since 1998 without any problems.

I don't have any employment rights, my contract is a complete joke.

I think this line sums it up best -

It is expressly understood that your employment with the company is “at will” and may be terminated at any time and for any reason, with or without just cause, either by yourself or by the company.

There's another clause that says I have to pay the company's legal expenses if I ever take them to court. Having said that I've been working under this contract since 1998 without any problems.

Your contract 'sounds like' it was made on the basis of a US template (where pretty much anything goes), in complete ignorance of relevant UK and EU employment law (which would trump your contract, at least those clauses of it incompatible with UK/EU employment law, and this even when you've signed it, and even if the employer is e.g. a US company).

Both these clauses are unenforceable in the UK, btw.

A very common problem, particularly since the advent of the Internet and search engines: too many employers still think it wise to save a penny or two by Googling and 'lifting' a template contract from wherever (so long as it's free) and not use proper 'legals' for the job....irremediably, they end up the proverbial creek, liable for £'000s and £'000s in costs and settlement :twisted:

Archived