£10 billion cuts in welfare but we still drip feed the banks?

What parts?

The only way to make substantial savings is to cut pensions.

Perhaps cut the state pension to £56.25 per week. Keep winter fuel and get rid of bus passes.

Maybe we could just leave OAP's out on a hillside in winter...

Labour bailed out the banks.

Supporting the banks at that point was the right thing. That Labour didn't impose punative measures into the bargain has turned out to be a disaster because basically the banks are carrying on as if nothing happened. That is the lesson to learn - never let the banks off the hook again and at the very least nationalise every bank that begs for help so that their removal from or restructuring within the system can be done in a managed way. Nationalisation and the threat of closure/breakup is the ultimate threat and the government has to be clear that it will do it if a similar situation ever arises.

Supporting the banks at that point was the right thing. That Labour didn't impose punative measures into the bargain has turned out to be a disaster because basically the banks are carrying on as if nothing happened. That is the lesson to learn - never let the banks off the hook again and at the very least nationalise every bank that begs for help so that their removal from or restructuring within the system can be done in a managed way. Nationalisation and the threat of closure/breakup is the ultimate threat and the government has to be clear that it will do it if a similar situation ever arises.

Have you tried getting a 100% mortgage recently?

Perhaps, I don't know. It depends on a lot of things.

That wasn't the point though.

It is a point. Its one of many.

Why were banks giving out 100% mortgages, when they are unsafe. House prices go up & they go down. History tells us this.

It is a point. Its one of many.

Why were banks giving out 100% mortgages, when they are unsafe. House prices go up & they go down. History tells us this.

I don't care (in this thread anyway).

Look at what I highlighted in Illy's quote. It's untrue.

They [lenders] were selling 100% mortgages, and now they aren't (on the whole). That isn't carrying on as if nothing happened which is what the poster said.

When David Cameron was asked why we couldn't afford welfare while still giving money to the banks, he replied that we were still a rich country...

I wish he'd make up his mind..

I can't relate to them at all, I was watching William Hague earlier and he never fails to mention labours failures but never actually admits their own

Brown's gone now so I think I will support labour

Archived