IMF hand UK biggest downgrade in West.

We get the politicians we deserve, and let's face it we allow some total numpties into power (all parties) because 'they've got a nice face' and come across well on television...

What do we really know about them? Where is the rigour expected in every other walk of life? I want to see a detailed (and verified) CV on everything from their background, their qualifications, their achievements, their previous carreers, their friends and alliances, their political affiliations and their size of underpants.

For far too long selection commitees have drawn up shortlists of 'suitable candidates' (ie, their pals...) which we are then allowed the 'priveledge' of voting for. How is this that different from the system in somewhere like Russia?

Democracy is a sham. It needs to change if we want competant leadership, and not just jobs for the boys.

Yes I am British citizen. It may well be in my interests to get out of the mess the country is in.

So if the bloke next door remortgages his house and does lots of home improvements, then goes and buys a new car on tick, and subsequently gets into a financial mess with it all. Does that mean I have to dig deep into my pockets to 'sort him out'. Are we in it together? I don't think so!

I already live on an island thanks :wink:

As for people borrowing to holiday and stuff their house with gadgets etc...It's impossible to say what the percentage was (although some smart alec will produce a stat link from somewhere no doubt), but I still think the mojority of people didn't. For one thing because they couldn't afford to. I'm on the same wage now, as I was back in 1999. So my earnings havn't risen in 12 years!

It's just the pious mp's that annoy me and say 'we're all in this together'. It would be nice if someone said. Ok I know probably most of you didn't cause this problem. We will be tackling those who did. But please bear with us, we're trying to sort it out as best we can. We need everyone's help.

But no!...We all caused it, so we all have to suffer!

.......The IMF estimates that America will have to endure a 35% hike in tax rates plus a 35% cut in benefits, in order to keep America's social welfare systems from going broke.

Surely that could not happen here....could it?

Totally agree!..........but for some,funny how things seem much more attractive and desirable when you can't afford them! When you can easily afford something,you can much easier walk away from it and have second thoughts.

Corrected that for you, in view of-

;)

It's a bit like that PPI thing, when you think about it (who was responsible for signing on the dotted line with PPI built-in? hint: not the bank manager). Fair enough if it was effectively mis-sold (as in, not explained at the time time of the application and just rolled in by default)...but if it was not, and you did not need it in the end? Why would you even try to get the premium back? :huh: (it'd be like claiming car insurance premiums back because you haven't had a crash)

The Gvt could do worse than instilling 'money sense' into kids from a young age (then continuing) as part of a national curriculum reform. It is my understanding that they do not, currently - and haven't for a while. I fear it shows.

Why should the government do it? - What happened to familes?

Grandmère Fifiene (Josephine, but I couldn't say it)(Who was actually my great-grandmother, I was brought up by my grandparents) taught me the basics.

She told me:

"When you are a man and you get your first pay packet, divide the money into 3 equal piles.

One you live on, One you save and - if you like - you can pi88 the third one up against the wall."

(I didn't understand that at the time - I was 4 or 5 and le Pissoir was just up the road. I sometimes heard noise from the men in there, but it didn't sound like money they were pi88ing against the wall.)

I remembered what she said and when I did get my first pay packet (£11.4s 0d) I did just that. I tried to follow her advice for very many years after.

(I worked out that I didn't have to go to le Pissoir, but I still managed to pee a considerably sum against the wall :hihi:

Grandmère was a Breton - and she was very, very wise.

I worked and I saved. - Jesus saves (but Moses invests) so I learnt a little bit about Judaism, too ;)

I never earned (or rather was never paid) huge amounts of money, but Grandmère's advice was sound and I retired in my early 50s.

I'm not rich - but nor am I poor. I'm not one of those people who says: "Work all the hours that God gives, squirrel everything away, live like a miser and when you get old, you'll have more money than you know what to do with." - Not at all!

But I did (when I could) save i/3 of whatever appeared in my paypacket/ monthly salary checque. - I didn't go without and nor did my family. - But I didn't always have to have the newest and best gadgets/cars either.

If an item costs $X,000 or £Y,000 or €Z,000 then that's what I'll pay (unless I can beat the vendor down a bit.) I don't see why I should pay a bank - who did bugger-all to earn it - 50% or more so I can have it tomorrow.

We get the politicians we deserve, and let's face it we allow some total numpties into power (all parties) because 'they've got a nice face' and come across well on television...

What do we really know about them? Where is the rigour expected in every other walk of life? I want to see a detailed (and verified) CV on everything from their background, their qualifications, their achievements, their previous carreers, their friends and alliances, their political affiliations and their size of underpants.

For far too long selection commitees have drawn up shortlists of 'suitable candidates' (ie, their pals...) which we are then allowed the 'priveledge' of voting for. How is this that different from the system in somewhere like Russia?

Democracy is a sham. It needs to change if we want competant leadership, and not just jobs for the boys.

Democracy is a sham. Tribal politics is a sham. The govt is a sham. The constitution is a sham.

We have 2 and a bit years till the next election.

I hope we find alternatives.

Why should the government do it? - What happened to familes?Grandmère Fifiene (Josephine, but I couldn't say it)(Who was actually my great-grandmother, I was brought up by my grandparents) taught me the basics.

She told me:

"When you are a man and you get your first pay packet, divide the money into 3 equal piles.

One you live on, One you save and - if you like - you can pi88 the third one up against the wall."

(I didn't understand that at the time - I was 4 or 5 and le Pissoir was just up the road. I sometimes heard noise from the men in there, but it didn't sound like money they were pi88ing against the wall.)

I remembered what she said and when I did get my first pay packet (£11.4s 0d) I did just that. I tried to follow her advice for very many years after.

(I worked out that I didn't have to go to le Pissoir, but I still managed to pee a considerably sum against the wall :hihi:

Grandmère was a Breton - and she was very, very wise.

I worked and I saved. - Jesus saves (but Moses invests) so I learnt a little bit about Judaism, too ;)

I never earned (or rather was never paid) huge amounts of money, but Grandmère's advice was sound and I retired in my early 50s.

I'm not rich - but nor am I poor. I'm not one of those people who says: "Work all the hours that God gives, squirrel everything away, live like a miser and when you get old, you'll have more money than you know what to do with." - Not at all!

But I did (when I could) save i/3 of whatever appeared in my paypacket/ monthly salary checque. - I didn't go without and nor did my family. - But I didn't always have to have the newest and best gadgets/cars either.

If an item costs $X,000 or £Y,000 or €Z,000 then that's what I'll pay (unless I can beat the vendor down a bit.) I don't see why I should pay a bank - who did bugger-all to earn it - 50% or more so I can have it tomorrow.

Families can certainly instill the basics and the right attitude, but I think we need to be more sophisticated in our understanding of finance these days, - Investments, interest rates, tax efficiency, etc.

Even if you never have the sort of money to worry about these things I think you need to have a basic understanding of them so that you can understand how you're being ripped off by the various governments.

I disagree, Anna.

I've got a Master's degree which includes economics; I (no longer have but once held) a licence to trade on the New York stock exchange and (I was told) I got the highest mark ever seen in my professional licencing exams.

Yet the best economics lessons I ever learned were those I learned from a poorly-educated barely-literate peasant who didn't speak much English.

IMO, the lessons you learn as a child from your family are the most important lessons you will ever learn in your life.

As Grandmère told me: "Money is made round to go around - but it's also made flat to stack up"

Her 'save one third of what you get` rule was usually very difficult - and sometimes bloody near impossible! - but it works, just as it did for her and her ancestors (who didn't get any form of pension.)

I disagree, Anna.

I've got a Master's degree which includes economics; I (no longer have but once held) a licence to trade on the New York stock exchange and (I was told) I got the highest mark ever seen in my professional licencing exams.

Yet the best economics lessons I ever learned were those I learned from a poorly-educated barely-literate peasant who didn't speak much English.

IMO, the lessons you learn as a child from your family are the most important lessons you will ever learn in your life.

As Grandmère told me: "Money is made round to go around - but it's also made flat to stack up"

Her 'save one third of what you get` rule was usually very difficult - and sometimes bloody near impossible! - but it works, just as it did for her and her ancestors (who didn't get any form of pension.)

Theres a lot of people in the City of London with Masters degrees and various high achiever in Economics.

Pity they didnt see the crash hey?

I don't remember you (or your other usernames for that matter) tipping us off

at the time!

Dont play the "other usernames" thing on me to get me banned, just because you dont like what I'm saying; I've been a memeber here since the start of last year.

Archived