Jailed for facebook comments

I really think that Judges need to live in the real world. On the one hand they hand out leniant sentences for scroats who steal, speed cars etc. Who actually cause harm to individuals.

Yet a sad low life who just spends his time posting offensive comments on facebook which people can ignore (better still he can be banned by facebook) gets a jail sentence.

Surely we need to look at the whole sentencing issue in this country.

I totally agree. locking people up for "words" written on internet forums/ networking sites beggars belief ,and is proof the police/CPS and Judges are totally out of touch with reality.

An old saying springs to mind here

"sticks and stone may break my bones ,but calling names cant hurt me"

I think that perfectly sums up this whole sorry situation . We should NEVER be sending people to prison for comments posted online.

This is nothing to do with Facebook, it's using a communications media (the internet) as means of distributing offensive information to the masses:

He appeared at Chorley Magistrates' Court where he admitted sending a grossly offensive public electronic communication.

He got what he deserved, just like someone who probably told a dead baby joke in a pub would get a smack by someone.

This is nothing to do with Facebook, it's using a communications media (the internet) as means of distributing offensive information to the masses:

He got what he deserved, just like someone who probably told a dead baby joke in a pub would get a smack by someone.

Agreed and I wanted the persons who do the dead baby stuff banned. Banning them is the right solution. Wasting money incacerating them is the wrong one in my opinion.

Over the top punishment if you ask me.

I was reading on here last night that someone had been assaulted and had their car vandalised - the crim got an £80 fine.

Some guy makes a post on Facebook and gets 3 months inside?!?!

People do know that he just re-cycled a joke from sickipedia?

and who exactly is supposed to decide whats offensive and what is not? Its utterly ridiculous.

I can think off jokes that might offend some, but not others. If I was to post one should I be sent to jail too?

and who exactly is supposed to decide whats offensive and what is not? Its utterly ridiculous.

I can think off jokes that might offend some, but not others. If I was to post one should I be sent to jail too?

Well I wouldn't risk it, I think you will just get the ban off here

I know people write disgusting things on Facebook alchresearch

But don't you think the police have better things to do?

The police have to implement the law. If lots of people complained and he broke the law, it has to act.

"Jokes" about dead kids, "Chinks", "Pakkis" and "*******" belong in the shameful past. People who can't deserve to be punished.

Archived