Jailed for facebook comments

This is a complete waste of tax payers money ,as are all cases related to online comments posted. We dont have enough police as it is without having them chasing and charging people with nonsense like this . The real blame here lies with the CPS for taking this bloke to court . They are the ones who need looking at , not someone idiot sat on his laptop posting stupid comments on Facebook.

whilst I am shocked that he got a prison sentence, he might learn not to put derogatory remarks on networks in future. That said it shows the double standards shown by the courts, the Asian youth who posted sick remarks following the deaths of 6 soldiers, gets community service.

Now if you go to "chucky" for writing offensive material make it consistent please, when sentencing.

This is a complete waste of tax payers money ,as are all cases related to online comments posted. We dont have enough police as it is without having them chasing and charging people with nonsense like this . The real blame here lies with the CPS for taking this bloke to court . They are the ones who need looking at , not someone idiot sat on his laptop posting stupid comments on Facebook.

Then perhaps you should take issue with the actual law and the government who introduced it in 2003. This should get you started:

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/a_to_c/communications_offences/

And perhaps you can also come up with figures of how many policemen and man hours it took to arrest him?

Why do so many people in this thread think we have the right to free speech in this country? We don't.

Banning people from websites is very difficult to maintain, as several of you will know from your own experience.

Finally, if the sentences are wrong, that's not the judges fault, that's the Government. Go complain at your MP.

Prison should be used as a method of last resort, or for the protection of the public. Not for offensive idiots.

There was already a mob with pitchforks outside of house (ok slight overstatement - but I'm sure they weren't there to shake his hand for his immaculately timed and well constructed "joke"). He's probably already unable to continue living in his house or even the same town/city or even county (I'm not saying "boo-hoo, poor him"!, I'm just pointing out that his idiocy has already cost him far more than he bargained for!).

Unless he has a string of convictions for similar offences then a jail sentence certainly isn't warranted. Yes it's offensive! Yes the bloke is a bloody moron! Yes, he probably deserves a slap! But prisons are full, for every idiot they lock away for posting stupid comments on twitter/facebook they're potentially leaving an active criminal free to roam the streets to continue their criminal activities.

A system already exists for computer hackers banning them from using computers or internet connected devices for a set period of time. I would suggest this kind of punishment, combined with a community based punishment would be far more suitable (and cost the tax payer far less) than locking him up.

This sentencing in these cases is driven by moral panic far more than sensible and rational judgement.

Considering there's no training for internet use and etiquette, is it not the case that people don't realise they need to be responsible for their actions?

Or more importantly, will it make people more aware and prevent this kind of thing happening again?

The sentence was extreme, but in fairless, so was his offensive posts.

Considering there's no training for internet use and etiquette, is it not the case that people don't realise they need to be responsible for their actions?

Or more importantly, will it make people more aware and prevent this kind of thing happening again?

The sentence was extreme, but in fairless, so was his offensive posts.

Dont you agree that the problem is that some people tend to get offended over nothing these days ,and take printed "words" ,yes ,that `s all it is , "words" to heart too much ,and complain at the slightest little thing they disagree with online. ?

I like to refer to these peole as "Professional Complainers"

Archived