Millspaugh ltd, alsing road.

wgh164

Hello, I worked at Sulzer's for a couple of years until they closed. One side of Alsing Rd was the Fab Shops and the old T.I. building was where the Goods Inwards and the Joiners Shop making and then creating up the finished products. A fab shop is a fab shop and same as all the others. But it was the best hourly rate in the area and premium time paid on all overtime hours, good meals in the canteen, Big Derek (?) was the Works Convenor, a great human being of a person.

Any body know who the company insurers were for millspaugh any info would be helpfull . Thanks Roger lee i worked there until it closed. I was an electrician.

---------- Post added 28-08-2015 at 16:31 ----------

Could anybody tell me who the company insurers were during the early seventies until it closed and when Ashlow engineering took over the site. Thanks Roger lee.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

i worked as apprentice in the maintenance dept with les chalonner jim rooke and alan bomber baines not forgetting ted monks plus pipe fitter bernard stinking feet??? forgot his second name........and bernard moore was foreman at that time..........great times

Edited by moo4707

• 4 months later...

my dad worked for millspaugh in the 70s, his name was frank wild,i cant recall what he did there,i think he could have been a machinist, but i know he was involved with the works football team. i remember the inter departmental cricket matches they had on bawtry rd, i even played in one when i was about 13 or so when his side was short.i think his best mate was a bob smith .

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 04/03/2015 at 23:13, TORONTONY said:

Wonder if you knew a Les Cartiledge, nicknamed Liggy by his apprentices. He was in charge of young platers and welders at Millspaugh,and he brought 4 of his young lads with him when got the foreman's job at a company I worked for in the mid- seventies called Group Fabrications, who rented part of the Millspaugh building. Sadly, he died of lung cancer about 2 years after joining us. I can only recall 2 of the youngsters first names one was Gary and the other was Graham. Ironically the first 8 years of my working life 1961 to 1969 were spent right next door i.e. Hadfields.It's all Meadowhall now of course

Hi my name is Granville  Slater I worked  in the fab shop from 1968  until  it closed  when  the last owners  rotherham  engineers had  it but the name liggy  doesn't ring abell  I was the profile burner I worked  with  Dave gill  Dougie  Busby  Wyn  haycock  Barry Wright and many more 

I also worked  has a  grinder for many  years 

21 hours ago, Gran slater said:

Hi my name is Granville  Slater I worked  in the fab shop from 1968  until  it closed  when  the last owners  rotherham  engineers had  it but the name liggy  doesn't ring abell  I was the profile burner I worked  with  Dave gill  Dougie  Busby  Wyn  haycock  Barry Wright and many more 

I also worked  has a  grinder for many  years 

Hi Granville, I am the poster who you replied to, I changed my username due to a misunderstanding of the forum fules.

Anyway the name  "Liggy" was what the cheeky young lads who came over with him from Millspaugh called him. His proper name was Les Cartiledge and he was the boss over those apprentices at Millspaugh  who came over with him, maybe he was in a training dept. or something if you didn't know him. He was a short stocky guy with thinning grey hair combed straight back in his 50s and had a gruffish voice probably because he smoked about 10 Park Drive an hour. .Lol.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Knew Les Cartiledge in the late 60's when he was at the Davy United Training School running the apprentice training Fab shop. 10 yrs later I worked in the drawing office on Alsing Rd but by that time it was Ashlows.

• 2 months later...
On 04/03/2015 at 23:13, TORONTONY said:

Wonder if you knew a Les Cartiledge, nicknamed Liggy by his apprentices. He was in charge of young platers and welders at Millspaugh,and he brought 4 of his young lads with him when got the foreman's job at a company I worked for in the mid- seventies called Group Fabrications, who rented part of the Millspaugh building. Sadly, he died of lung cancer about 2 years after joining us. I can only recall 2 of the youngsters first names one was Gary and the other was Graham. Ironically the first 8 years of my working life 1961 to 1969 were spent right next door i.e. Hadfields.It's all Meadowhall now of course

I was an apprentice at Davy united from 1967 and Les Cartiledge was the fabrication guy. I believe his son worked there to ?

I remember he was a heavy smoker