Has Anglo-American Bonhomie died on this forum?

People have been bitching at one another, but usually the Brits (who don't get too many holidays ;)) Do congratulate the Americans on whatever holiday it is.

Sometimes they get it wrong. They seem to think that 'Memorial day' (3rd Monday in February) is the day that Americans reserve to celebrate the reincarnation of Presidents.

Washington came back as a monument, Kennedy came back as an Airport ... understandable, really.

Then, of course, there's Thanksgiving Day.

The Americans celebrate theirs on the 3rd Thursday in October

The Brits celebrate it in either the 4th of July (when the Americans finally decided to 'go it alone') or on August 24th, when they finally got rid of the Mayflower.

Ordinarily, the Brits are very generous ... but what happened yesterday?

Yesterday - as I'm sure you all know - was 'Get Lost' day. The day on which Americans celebrate the most incompetent navigator in history. (I'll pm you the explanation if you can't do sums.)

Christopher Columbus.

The man who:

Didn't know where he was going

Didn't know where he was when he got there

and

Did itall using somebody else's money.

Columbus' sponsor was a gentleman by the name of Amerigo Vespucci,

It appears that Columbus wasn't over-given to formality - which is just as well.

He used his sponsor's first name to name the continent he discovered ran into (He didn't 'discover' it - It already had people.)

Had he been a little more formal, the the country would've been named after the last name of his sponsor.

'Happy 'Get Lost' day, Vespuccians!'

Coliumbus Day has also been recognized as the beginning of the end for the way of life of the indigenous people. He's not too popular as a historical figure among native-Americans

Maybe I'll drop in on you one day in Heeley Bottom or will you be at your summer retreat down Pitsmoor way ? :D

Still better than Yank land, I'm proud of Sheffield, if people don't like Sheffield or live in a Yank fantasy land, why don't they go and live there! if cap fits wear it, OOPS! I should have said Baseball cap, how sad you people are.:loopy:

His voyages led to European awareness of the American continents.

What about Eirīkr hinn rauði? (Erik the Red) He was there a few years before Columbus.

I have to admit that although I live here (and I do enjoy living here) I can't resist 'extracting the urine' occasionally.

America does have far more history than many of its citizens realise.

F'rinstance: If you ask the average(well-educated and knowledgeable) American: "What is the oldest city in the US?"

You'll probably be told: "St Augustine Florida" (It's been inhabited since at least 1513 (and it's 1730 your time.) :hihi:

If you say "What about Acoma Pueblo?" (continuously inhabited since about 900 AD) you'll get blank looks.

Archived