UK economy has returned to growth according to NIESR

National Institute of Economic and Social Research estimates UK economy expanded by 0.8% in the third quarter, marking end of double-dip recession

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/oct/09/uk-economy-exits-recession-niesr?newsfeed=true

This seems much in line with similar figures supplied by the Chamber of Commerce last week.

Well, thank goodness for that. Panic over. Everything's going to be OK folks.

National Institute of Economic and Social Research estimates UK economy expanded by 0.8% in the third quarter, marking end of double-dip recession

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/oct/09/uk-economy-exits-recession-niesr?newsfeed=true

This seems much in line with similar figures supplied by the Chamber of Commerce last week.

Did you read to the bottom of the article?

Chris Williamson, of data provider Markit, said: "A batch of dismal data and a gloomier assessment of the economic outlook has cast a further dark cloud over the UK's economic health, piling pressure on the government to review its fiscal policy and growth strategy. The economy may still pull out of its recession in the third quarter, but a return to contraction in the fourth quarter cannot be ruled out, as the underlying growth momentum clearly remains extremely weak."

Not quite so encouraging.

There are no quick fixes to this mess. Indeed, there may well be no fix at all.

In 2007, i genuinely thought it was a Japanese lost decade we were looking at. How wrong i was.

Theres no chance we are out of this in 2017.... Maybe not 2020. These debts will either have to be written off or passed onto our great grand children.

In 2007, i genuinely thought it was a Japanese lost decade we were looking at. How wrong i was.

Theres no chance we are out of this in 2017.... Maybe not 2020. These debts will either have to be written off or passed onto our great grand children.

Do these debts really exist at all? It's all fiat money that they print at will.

Everybody owes it to everybody else. Why can't they write it off and call it quits?

They are in such a poisonous mess, I bet that's what will happen in the end, but not before they've ruined everybody.

And setting us up for a triple dip recession. Something few chancellors ever manage to create.

Do these debts really exist at all? It's all fiat money that they print at will.

Everybody owes it to everybody else. Why can't they write it off and call it quits?

They are in such a poisonous mess, I bet that's what will happen in the end, but not before they've ruined everybody.

There will need to be some form of debt write-off. The current debts can never be repaid.

If we are out of recession the scale of the Govenrment cuts will soon have us back there.

When Gideon, Smarmy and Lapdog talked about rebalancing the economy I fear that they may have meant the only people in work will be the spivs in the City!

Did you read to the bottom of the article?

Not quite so encouraging.

I read all of the article. The figures showing growth are based on fact. The end of the article that you refer to concerning the future is nothing but speculation.

Archived