Why do Asians vote Labour?

I know they dont ALL vote Labour, but Asian areas, particulary in Sheffield, all return Labour MP's/councillors, or mostly do anyway.

Clearly many Asian families own/run shops and businesses of various kinds, so therefore I find it strange they vote for Labour, a party that is quite hostile to entrepreneurialism with all the red tape, high business rates and rents etc. Also the Asian community in general are socially quite conservative, putting them at odds with Labours more "progressive" stance on social issues.

The areas in Sheffield that have large Asian communities ought to be safe Tory seats.

Because Conservatives have a tougher stance on immigration perhaps?

Many immigrants simply wouldn't be here if Conservatives had been in power for the last decade instead of Labour.

Many of the Asians in Britain/Sheffield today are 2nd, 3rd generation etc...there not all recent arrivals.

Its because Asians work hard, they dont exploit people nor use the 'old boy' network to try to better themselves. They are grafters and distrust Smarmy Dave and his vermin friends. Capitalism brought them to this country, the exesses of capitalism causes abject poverty and slavery in places like India.....................just what Cameron and co would love to see here.

Its because Asians work hard, they dont exploit people nor use the 'old boy' network to try to better themselves. They are grafters and distrust Smarmy Dave and his vermin friends. Capitalism brought them to this country, the exesses of capitalism causes abject poverty and slavery in places like India.....................just what Cameron and co would love to see here.

Its all a class war with Labour isn't it?? even though there is no "old boy network" in the Sheffield small to medium level business community... its just not like that at all, its about grafting to start your own business and be in control of your own destiny.

I think it would be fitting to let Asians answer for themselves rather than use a series of stereotypes as a basis for speculation.

I think I'm on safe ground to say that many Asian families own or run there own businesses of various kinds; If its a stereotype its hardly a negative stereotype is it? its a good thing.

Because Conservatives have a tougher stance on immigration perhaps?

Many immigrants simply wouldn't be here if Conservatives had been in power for the last decade instead of Labour.

The Conservatives have always been a lot more liberal on immigration than their propaganda suggests. 30,000 Ugandan Asians arrived in the early 70s. In the 70s and 80s immigration from the Commonwealth averaged over 60,000 a year. So the Tories allowed in a lot of immigrants but then adopted a lot of racist policies. Thatcher harped on about an "alien culture" at the 1979 general election but still allowed a lot of immigration. Labour has also always been more anti-racist than the Tories.

Immigrants also tend to settle in poorer areas and so new immigrants tend to be more working class and consequently more pro-Labour. I think it's a myth that Asians tend to run their own businesses. Most Asians I see are taxi drivers rather than shop-owners. And a lot of Asians work for Asian-owned businesses as low-paid labour. Others get through university and get graduate jobs.

It may have something to do with understanding the way that The Labour Party works at a Council level.

Potential candidates cannot choose their Ward (officially, that is). All Labour candidates are put up for all of Sheffield, Local parties interview and select a candidate to stand for their Ward in the Council Election.

If you ever go along to a local Labour Party meeting, you may notice how few people can influence who stands for Labour in that Ward.

Once you understand that, it isn't hard to arrange for like-minded people to join the Labour Party, attend local meetings, put up a candidate and ensure he is selected.

It takes a couple of years but that's all.

It is understood that certain communities can encourage a partisan vote/turn-out when it is pointed out that one of their own is standing.

It is not as straightforward in all other parties.

If one sector of the community has recognised a way of using the system to their advantage ... who can blame them.

If you don't vote ... don't moan.

Archived