No double glazing how to keep the cold out

I have just moved into a house that has no double glazing and I'm wondering what I can do to keep the cold out without having to buy double glazing as I can't afford it yet, I have heard of the black bin liner tip but choose not to try that!

Simple (and cheapest) way: Put Cling film over the windows.

Somewhat morew expensive (but far more efficient) way:

Make frames (out of light wood) which fir each window.

Buy 'Heat memrory (model aircraft stuff) clear plastic, stretch and fit it to the frames (It's 'Iron on')then use a hairdryer to shrink it. - you will end up with frames skinned 'tight as a drum' with plastic. - Those frames make a pretty good double- glazinng alternative

I have just moved into a house that has no double glazing and I'm wondering what I can do to keep the cold out without having to buy double glazing as I can't afford it yet, I have heard of the black bin liner tip but choose not to try that!

You will be a lot more succesful if you try to keep the heat in:wink:

Draught excluders and shutting doors and windows properly makes loads of difference. Draught excluder tape costs a couple of quid. Closing doors and windows properly is free.

A lot of heat also escapes when I put the tumble dryer on and have to slightly open the door, I once saw a tray type device where you put the pine in and it converts the steam to water does anyone know what these are called and how much they are?

Archived