Over a quarter of Tory politicians are landlords!

Indeed. It is a sound investment strategy for many people.

But what if you were investing in property and had a chance either through influencing legislation or though influencing economic policy to make your investments work even better for you? ...

Isn't this where the "declared interest" bit comes in..it's not as though the MP's are hiding their involvement with letting..

Indeed. It is a sound investment strategy for many people.

But what if you were investing in property and had a chance either through influencing legislation or though influencing economic policy to make your investments work even better for you? I think that is where suspicion creeps in when we talk about doing things like building more homes, fairer taxation on rent yielding assets etc... How far would a politician, of any flavour, seek to prevent policy that might be good for the wider economy but damaging for themselves?

This kind of question goes to the heart of the way we have been governed over the past 20 years, or more. It extends to other areas where MPs, again of any flavour, might have secondary interests. Banking, healthcare, policing/security (think John Reid) are other examples where MPs from all parties have lucrative private interests/consultancies etc...

MPs were allowed second jobs to keep them in touch.

Unfortunately it hasn't worked out like that, and conflicts of interest must be rife.

You'd think running the country was important and difficult enough to warrant it being a full time job.

Personally I'd like to see every politician work for say 2 months every year in a real job, like teaching or nursing, or shadowing a policeman (and at the chalk face level) so they can see it from the inside and feel the impact of their legislation. A lot of the toffs we've got now never even have an unrehearsed conversation with an ordinary person. They are so out of touch.

I also think we could easily reduce the number of MP's without missing them.

Whats the problem with buy to let? Do you see it as people buying up new 'affordable' (wtf is that anyway) housing and letting it out for a profit???

My parents let out a place, as do a few of my friends. You buy up a cheap run down place, turn it around and let it out.

It's especially useful because it makes them less reliant on their pensions, as people often worry if their pension is going to amount to what they were promised when they took it out.

Build to let would be nice, but have you ever tried to build a house??

It's a freaking nightmare!!

Im looking at a house this afternoon....The rent will be more than fair, Ill let it to a family al will be good... is there anything wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with that at all . Property is a good investment for our pensions . I decided to go down the route of Student lets with my properties ,as there is more money to be made by letting on a room by room basis , although students can be high maintenance when it comes to repairs. :hihi:

Archived