Natwest online security is a joke.

Natwest online security is a joke.I recently went to buy a T.V. at one of the big stores in Sheffield and I tried to pay for it with my debit card it all went O.K. until Natwest asked for three digits from my password,which I could not remember,and I put in the wrong digits.A window came up on the computer saying payment denied.The assistant then printed out a copy of my order and said I could fill in the digits at home on their web page.When I tried to do this the money had already been taken by the store.So as far as I can see there is a fault in their security system.I have been for the last three days on the phone to Natwest plus 2 visits to my local bank(who were the most helpful and the only ones to understand me fully)I am now waiting for a phone call from Natwest with all the answers I want.Maybe.

I left Natwest because I didn't think theirs and RBS's systems worked correctly in many respects. The process of leaving them was actually even worse, and mildly disturbing in a number of ways. The information they have about your accounts etc... might not actually tally with what you see on their online systems.

I agree with both of you.

Often when I put the correct digits into the system it tells me I'm wrong. My wife as had to change her password that many times because of this she's stopped shopping online where she knows the verification message appears, as it inevitably leads to her having to change her password.

Regarding the info not matching that on their systems, I got my new debit card through the other day which had been sent to an address I left two years ago (fortunately I get an indefinate free redirection so I received it) when I phoned up to complain I was told that I had never changed my address with them, when I told the lady I definately had, and in fact had a bank statement in front of me which had come to my new address she told me, in no uncertain terms, that I can't have because my old address was on their system.

When I was put through to the complaints department That lady also told me my address hadn't been changed, when I insisted it had (and repeated that I had bank statements for my new address) she suggested that I take the bank statements into the bank to prove it!

Under normal, everday conditions i find NatWest to be quite good (they are certainly far superior to Yorkshire bank who I used to be with) but if it comes to any kind of complaint they are absolutely atrocious.

I've never had a problem with their systems recognising my passwords and pin number, either on line or at a cashpoint, or with paying in a shop with my debit card!

Maybe it's the constant changing of these things that are causing a problem?

Are you on about the verifications screen something like this verify? if so that's verified by Visa and run seperatley to your bank IIRC.

That screen can be a little confusing for some people, because the password has to be 10 characters or more and has to have at least one number. So people frequently get it wrong. Then you're asked for (say) the second, sixth, and tenth character, and it's random each time you use it.

If you forget it, it chucks you out and you have to reset it, with another one, and before you know where you are you can't remember the new one. Especially if it's been a while since you used it.

Natwest online security is a joke.I recently went to buy a T.V. at one of the big stores in Sheffield and I tried to pay for it with my debit card it all went O.K. until Natwest asked for three digits from my password,which I could not remember,and I put in the wrong digits.A window came up on the computer saying payment denied.The assistant then printed out a copy of my order and said I could fill in the digits at home on their web page.When I tried to do this the money had already been taken by the store.So as far as I can see there is a fault in their security system.I have been for the last three days on the phone to Natwest plus 2 visits to my local bank(who were the most helpful and the only ones to understand me fully)I am now waiting for a phone call from Natwest with all the answers I want.Maybe.

Report it to the financial services ombudsman. This looks like a serious flaw in their security.

Report it to the financial services ombudsman. This looks like a serious flaw in their security.

I don't think it is...I think it's a case of not being able to recall the correct password.

Anyway. I've never been asked to complete a purchase on a computer screen in a shop!!!!...You stick your card in the machine and enter your pin, and that's it.

I don't think it is...I think it's a case of not being able to recall the correct password.

Anyway. I've never been asked to complete a purchase on a computer screen in a shop!!!!...You stick your card in the machine and enter your pin, and that's it.

Yep me neither... never been asked for a password just the had to put the PIN in..

Yep me neither... never been asked for a password just the had to put the PIN in..

I wouldn't do a purchase like that in any shop! What with software being able to be installed like keystroke readers and such. It's no wonder the money was gone when he next checked!

Archived