Natwest online security is a joke.

I don't think it is...I think it's a case of not being able to recall the correct password.

Anyway. I've never been asked to complete a purchase on a computer screen in a shop!!!!...You stick your card in the machine and enter your pin, and that's it.

That is because the item you bought was probably in the shop,mine was not so they ordered it online.The point is I put in the wrong digits from my password and the sale still went through.

That screen can be a little confusing for some people, because the password has to be 10 characters or more and has to have at least one number. So people frequently get it wrong. Then you're asked for (say) the second, sixth, and tenth character, and it's random each time you use it.

If you forget it, it chucks you out and you have to reset it, with another one, and before you know where you are you can't remember the new one. Especially if it's been a while since you used it.

You can have three attempts before they shut you down but you do not have to change your password but you do have to wait a certain amount of time before you can use it again.

Just had a phone call from one of the managers at Natwest and he explained the facts to me.Natwest provide this service to the shops but if they so desire they can by pass the security, but if they do, they have no claims to any fraudulent dealings refunds from Natwest.So what it boils down too is if someone steals your debit card and goes to this store then they can order something online put in the wrong code and still buy the item.This store will be getting a visit from me tomorrow.

I've never had a problem with their systems recognising my passwords and pin number, either on line or at a cashpoint, or with paying in a shop with my debit card!

Maybe it's the constant changing of these things that are causing a problem?

Nor me-I use the Coop bank who seem sound.

I don't doubt that there are sometimes problems with banks systems but problems with passwords are down to user error 99% of the time. Either forgetting them or not reading what is asked for or providing the wrong information when first setting it up.

Archived