All of you have finished getting wood burners for the coming winter?

But if its not for economical reasons then go for it, you can get these fans which dont need power and sit above the stove and convect the heat into the room.

The fan seems like a good idea, not heard of these until now, could well be a worthy purchase. Cheers for that :thumbsup:

If you're running an enclosed stove you can rig up a much cheaper fan system using a 12V power adapter and some computer case fans set in fireboard.

My friend fits stoves and has put a few of these systems in place, total cost is under a tenner and you can put in a variable speed controller as well depending on how much hot air you want - and they can really blast it out.

I'm considering a wood burning stove too.

Anyone know a rough cost of getting the work done.

I'd need the existing gas fire removing, the fireplace opening up again, hearth and fire surround fitting, chimney lined, and the fire!

Why do you need the chimney lined?

Untill inspected I don't know that it is needed.

But....considering this house was built in 1900 it's a fair guess that it's needed.

There's no cavity walls here...it's built with solid sandstone...and over time it's reasonabe to expect some deterioration.......simple question...has anyone experience of opening up an old chimney safely...and the costs involved.

We swapped our open fire for a multi fuel stove a few years ago. The open fire was nice but so inefficient and all the heated air (including centrally heated air ) would ultimately vanish up the chimney. The stove makes such a difference and though it doesnt heat the whole house it certainly contributes.

I would recommend a multi fuel stove rather than just wood burning ( unless you have a reliable source of seasoned wood) as otherwise the temptation can be to burn wood that isn't ready, and that will result in tarring up your chimney / chimney fires etc.

If your chimney needs lining expect to pay £100 per meter for 904 grade flexi liner. That should include a cowl ( to keep rain/ birds out ) an adapter to fit the liner to the stove pipe, and labour....oh and your chimney should be swept before installing it :D

Archived